Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Electrical Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:46 PM
James G
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No Electrical Power

I have a 1987 F-150 4.9 L. The battery light came on then the ammeter in the dash would only go up to "8" a few days later. The alternator was tested at an auto parts store and was found to be producing 4-5 volts. I installed a new alternator but there was no change. I had the new alternator tested at the auto parts store and it was fine. I checked the volts at the battery with the engine on and off. It was 12 volts both times. The battery was fully charged and the serpentine belt is new. I was told to make sure there was a good ground, but obviously didn't check it properly. I connected a jumper cable to the negative battery terminal and the other end on the hood. When I turned the key all the electrical power was gone. After that, I discovered a wire that was corroded and held together only by a portion of the insulation. This wire went to the starter solinoid. Any idea as to what I might have fried ?

Old 05-19-2004, 12:53 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,545 Posts
Age and corssion! DC electrical systems and water (rain and humidity) will cause corssion and eat wires, connectors, screws and even plastics!

Old 05-20-2004, 06:24 PM
James G
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the problem

I put a different battery in the truck and the posts were smaller than the original battery posts so the negative clamp was a little loose on the post. I resolved that problem and now have power. As for the alternator not charging I discovered a melted fusible link where the alternator wires connect at the starter solenoid/relay. All is well. Looks like the truck might make it another 17 years......... maybe not.