Intro ('64 Ranchero)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Cliffy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro ('64 Ranchero)

Nice to find a good forum on these 'tweener Fords! As a kid growing up on our farm in Alaska one of the many vehicles my dad owned was a '64 Ranchero. I loved that car! All growed up and living in California (SF bay area) now and found a fairly nice little '64 of my own. I plan on a v8 and disk brake conversion SOON so I'm giving advance warning now. Hope you all don't mind if I pick yer brains! =P
<!-- / message -->

Old 05-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
thats why most of us are here!

jim

Old 05-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Cliffy
New User
'64 Ranchero 170 stumbling

Thanks, Jim-

Actually, right now I'm trying to get the little 170 L6 to run right! I don't mind driving her with the 6 while I gather parts needed to do the v8 swap.

Maybe someone can give me a hint why this thing is missing and almost dying anywhere off idle. I've got 17 inches of vacuum at idle and about 13 when in the midrange. The vacuum advance diapragm is good, it holds vacuum just fine and the point plate moves at about 3 inches wc. The engine itself seems tight enough, no smoke at all. It has a recently rebuilt fomoco 1 barrel carb. I pulled the top and checked for float level, it's fine and the main jet blows through ok. I pulled the fuel pump and the filter is clean. I pumped it by hand and plugged the outlet with my thumb and it held good so the diaphragm seems good. I put new points, condenser, cap, rotor and plugs in - no change.
It starts within one turn and idles without hardly missing a beat but when I give 'er gas she goes flat and dies unless I either pull the choke halfway or pump the heck out of it. Still fuel probs? Would a coil do this? Ideas? =)

TIA!