General Automotive Discussion

What gives with Detroit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 11:44 AM
mundt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What gives with Detroit?

I know we don't see class 8's discussed here at FTE - but thought I'd throw out a subject for some imput.
I drove semi's till the mid 70's - mostly as an owner operator -
shuttled a few semi's after retirement - so I haven't followed the industry closely in recent years - but have a few questions.
I know Detroit Diesel's reliability was getting pretty lousy by the time I quit driving - but doing some digging the other night on Detroit's, by the late 80's their reliability was so bad, Penske acquired part ownership, and then from what I read Daimler Chrysler bought Detroit out - in what, the late 90's?
If so, why does the Ram still use the Cummins engine? Anybody have any info?
And the semi's I shuttled were mainly Ford's, one day I got in a tractor that looked just like the Ford's and it had a Sterling badge on it. Quite a shock, obviously Ford sold out the heavy class to Sterling? Anybody know why?

Old 05-16-2004, 01:20 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Ford to Sterling was in several articles, maybe you can search the internet for the articles. Profitability is the motive. Ford couldn't make enough money in that market.

As far as Deetroit---Yes, Daimler Chrysler now does the following:
--owns and makes Detroits.
--buys motors from Cummins.
--makes it's own oil burners at Mercedes. (Check out June 04 Road and Track for their latest high pressure direct injection motor. 369 lb-ft from 1800 to 2600 rpm. 3.2 liter, about 196 cubes. Add an inch stroke to that motor and some bigger bolts to hold the flywheel on and you'd be in hog heaven)

Any way, when you ask "What's up with Detroit?", you have a lot of company wondering the same thing. Go check out the "How many miles" thread on Explorers for example. How can some folks get 200k out of a car without issues and some are calling the scrappy at 75,000?

If you find the answers, post 'em.

Old 05-16-2004, 02:14 PM
mundt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=85e150six4mtod
Any way, when you ask "What's up with Detroit?", you have a lot of company wondering the same thing. Go check out the "How many miles" thread on Explorers for example. How can some folks get 200k out of a car without issues and some are calling the scrappy at 75,000?

If you find the answers, post 'em.[/QUOTE]

Thats what the Detroit Diesel was like before I quit driving, guess it didn't improve later, at least until other management took over - one engine would run forever, no problem, and some would be rebuilt before a hundred thousand, or less. Lack of consistency is not quality, its a roll of the dice. Of course you have to realize also that, as I've said for years - if you mounted a steering wheel on a solid block of granite, some people are quite capable of demolishing it. Two sides to every story. But Detroit (the auto industry) in general needs to improve there, consistency; GM, Chrysler and Ford. Look at the Focus, it got rave reviews from the time it came out - but always with the notation that minor things like parts might come off. Now after several years I read where there reliability is improving.