Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 04:12 AM
broncoray
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front noise please help !!!!

Bronco II 1988 4x4 2.9L 160.000 Km

Hello,

When I drive a noise / tone is coming out of the front of my car and it is really loud. It starts and stops while driving only. It is not coming from the engine or gearbox (tested this with chanching engine refs and gearbox settings) and the tone,s frequency is always the same regardless the speed I drive, this is strange.
Also when I hit the brakes or engage the 4x4 thus not make a change.
Can this be from some other gearbox or shaft bearings?

Old 05-17-2004, 03:44 PM
b2_tim
Senior User
Once you are satisfied it is not coming from the engine or tranny, that leaves wheels bearings, brakes, axles, and diffs. You may have to jack it up and give each wheel a spin. Easy on the front wheels, not as easy on the back. Also carefully feel for hot areas on the rear diff housing, and front hubs and wheels. There are many more parts, but with the info you provided that is my story and Im sticking to it.

LOL

Old 05-25-2004, 05:32 PM
jakemarty90
New User
I have the same noise

My 95 f150 4x4 I6 manual has the same sound and It's driving me crazy. It started after I had all 4 ball joints and u-joints replaced. Front wheel were repacked and they have been look t and the bearings rechecked 3 times and all look perfect. I can't figure this one out. Does anyone have a suggestion on where this high pitched noise is coming from. It's NOT coming from wheel bearnings.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:18 PM
tworivers
New User
Check your u joints I had a ford f 150 a few years back had the same deal
the noise sounded like it was coming from a front wheel I went through both front bearings and all and it still made the same sound it turned out to be the rear u joint hope this helps

Old 05-26-2004, 12:48 PM
broncoray
Junior User
Hello,

Thanks for the tip, how thus the rear U joint look like so I can cheque this out.
How do you solve this then with some kind of spray or changing them out.

Ray

Old 05-27-2004, 06:22 AM
tworivers
New User
If there is play in the joint you will have to replace it. I know it seems strange that a bad u joint can make a noise that seems like it is coming from the front end . Many years ago I bought a used 68 Bronco after a couple of weeks it started to make a drivetrain whining noise I brought it back to the dealer it had 50/50 warranty so they ended up replacing every bearing in the drive train. when they were done it still made the same sound. I had put a set of roof racks on it right after I bought it and it turned out that a certain speed they caused the sound
good luck