6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

F350 Pulls Left and Right

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Monica
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 Pulls Left and Right

I've had my 04 F350 for 3 months now and I don't like it at all as compared to my 02. It pulls on the highway all the time both left and right. I've had it in the shop and they can't find anything wrong, I even test drove another off the lot and it did the same. Any other oweners find this? Any remedies?

Old 05-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Billy577
New User
Billy

A couple of friends and myself have also noticed the pulling in the front end while going down the road. We have also noticed that the steering wheels are no longer centered as we drive in a straight line. I have checked the pressures and it seems to not help the situation. It makes for a trying day if you are making a long trip. I have let a few non Ford drivers try the truck and they also are most inpressed with the ride, performance, quietness on the road, but all have complained about the pulling of the steering going down the road. I have tried pulling my 11,000# Rv with the sliding hitch in both positions. I can tell no difference. It has been addressed at the assembly plant in Louisville and the answer was that Ford knew of the problem but not the fix and at this point were not talking about it. I intend to take mine, a 2003 F250-FX4 back to the dealer for a check on the alignment. It was suggested that I take the shock absorber off the steering connecting link. I think it has nothing to do with the problem but will let the dealer take it off and try if he desires. My truck has 18K on it and like the others that post the MPG has gone to pot since the last and newest flash. I think a Predator is in my future. Just for the interesting moments that we get involved in----My truck was oversprayed by the local Co-op contractor painting tanks. The final bill was $6,658.00 to get it cleaned up. Now the steering was not so important when I saw my BIG FORD with it's makeup on. It is back and looks great. I would go for another one anyday. Love it!!!!!

Old 05-13-2004, 05:41 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this just F350's? I notice a "pull" when I have a cross wind otherwise is true. It has the aerodynamics of a beveled brick.

Old 05-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Monica
Senior User
It will do it anytime. If if pulls left and you correct right, then it will pull right. I have 7500K (I'm Canadian) and will be towing for the first time next week on a hard 10hr trip, should be interesting.

Like I said my 02 never had this problem, but from my research it sounds like I was lucky and had a rare on that behaved itself.

I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for anything either, even though everyone accumes I should be toting my kids in a minivan or SUV!

Old 05-13-2004, 07:24 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Pay attention to which way the wind is blowing and see if that has an effect.

Old 05-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Monica
Senior User
It does it all the time wind/no wind

Old 05-13-2004, 07:49 PM
KenB
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SBV45
It has the aerodynamics of a beveled brick.
Oh how true!

Old 05-13-2004, 08:58 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
I put a Raven top on the bed. It looks like a big Bronco. It added more surface area to the side profile. I can feel a moderate crosswind.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:03 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Monica, meet with the service manager, take him on a test drive, discuss it. Tell the service manager what has been done and what you want done. Document everything carefully and it shouldn't pull.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:44 AM
pdbd
Senior User
My truck started too, but I notice that my tires are scalping on the inside which means the wheels are towed out. Have your front end checked.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:48 PM
johndeer
Junior User
I to have a 350 cc, and have complaned about the wondering. They told me it is what a 4x4 ford does??? [This it my first and maybe my last ford]. But if that is so, I asked then why they dont put that in there adds??. I've have a lot of other issues with this truck,[ 2-intercooler, 2-egr valves & sensors, one new pipe& hose comming off turbo,1- new turbo, 1, soon to be 2 rear seals, doors rattle and hear air noise, t/h doesn't work like when new [after last flash], mileage stinks [13.5 in town- 9.5 towing 9000lb 5th wheel, and a lot noiser than when new [no piolt injection] other than that I love this truck [have 10000 mileson truck-had it 10months]

Old 05-14-2004, 08:27 PM
KenB
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johndeer
I to have a 350 cc, and have complaned about the wondering. They told me it is what a 4x4 ford does??? [This it my first and maybe my last ford]
Readily understand the attitude about Fords when you've such a laundry list of problems.
Strongly suggest you take all paperwork from all repairs and anything you have in writing and have a sit down with the service manager (or is there possibly another dealer you'd care to try out?).

A repeatedly unsatisfied customer that is willing to complain as high up the ladder as needed (squeeky wheel syndrome), and won't buy their latest excuse of the day, is going to get results. If you make it obvious you are not going to swallow the "cause Ford's do that" manure and are willing to make some major noise to Ford (and mabey even local media) you will get results of some kind.

Word of caution, KEEP YOUR COOL, anyone going ballistic for any reason is written off, that's all the excuse they need to get out of the corner you can otherwise put them in. NO CUSSING!

Any reason they offer that sounds like fertilizer, ask them to put it in writing. If they refuse that, tell them you want to speak to the general manager.

And, ALWAYS know who you are talking to and make a point of writing down their name in front of them where they can see it, also their position, date, and time of day.
It puts them in a position of watching someone load their ammo.

Good Luck

Last edited by KenB; 05-14-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:21 PM
johndeer
Junior User
I am keeping a list of everything. The dealer has been pretty good so far. My big problem is that i,m not sure I want a 2004??? It sounds like it is still hit and miss on them. I would like to see them put back the piolt injection, and bring back the tow haul the way it was when first came out. I took a 2800 mile trip pulling a 9000lb trailer when I first got truck. It was awesome the way it ran up and down hill, I was really impressed. Then they flashed it, and all down hill from there. I'm hoping 2005 thing change . Untill then I'll keep taking it in, maybe they will get it right. I can dream can't I??

Old 05-15-2004, 03:08 AM
Senior User
I read a thread a while back about the tendency for steering wandering. I believe the fix was tightening the steering box adjustment screw (on top of steering box) aprox 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn tighter (do only 1/8 turn at a time, you do not want to crush plastic ball at the end of the adjustment screw), this helped take the play and wandering away. Do a search on steering wandering etc.....you'll probably find a lot of info. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2004, 09:32 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
If that adjustment is the case, then there should be extra play in the steering wheel. If you have the engine off, can you move the steering wheel a few inches left and right without resistance?

Quick Reply: F350 Pulls Left and Right