6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Plastic elbow connectors and diesel fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 12:11 PM
747trace
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic elbow connectors and diesel fuel

04 f250 SD
Engine built date 11/14/04

Thanks for the info on the use of copper tubing and diesel fuel. I am trying to buy SS tubing as a write this. The automotive stores do not carry SS tubing but can order it at $16 per 36" piece.

Question: Will the 90 degree plactic elbows designed for auto vaccumn hose connections become corrosive when exposed to diesel fuel?

Old 05-13-2004, 02:20 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
What are you trying to do with the elbows...curious

Old 05-13-2004, 03:39 PM
747trace
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim,

The project consist of connecting a fuel line from the aux. fuel tank which is in the bed of the truck to a nipple which has been brased in the fuel neck pipe. The fuel will gravitity flow to the main tank and is operated by a switch inside the truck which opens a electric gate valve.

I had the tank made and installed. They did a great job on welding the tank however knew nothing of installing the connecting fuel line. They installed a fuel filter. The rubber hoses from the aux. tank to the fuel filter and from the filter filter to the fill neck tube are bent at right angles and are pinched off. I have been to the automotive stores looking for right angles brass hose fittings as well as the Ace hardward store. I purchased an assortment of fittings which after mating-up with each other will make a 90 degree angle with a hose fitting at each end. Obviously a piece of copper tubing bent to 45 degree would be great but is subject to corrosion. Stainless steel will be great if I can find it.

The other alternative is to use a plastic type material the automotive industry uses to connect vacuum hoses. That is the reason for the question about the plastic elbow exposed to diesel fuel. I sure appreciate the responses to using the copper tubing. I was prepared to use the copper and had it bent, cut ready to install.

This is my first diesel and I have a lot to learn. But rest assured I am doing my rearch and moving up the learning curve.

Additional Note:
From your previous comments I remember you wrote of your approval of the Performance Formula Stanadyne diesel fuel conditioner. I bought a case and thought I would start using the product after the engine breakin period, say 7500 miles. Your thoughts on that idea as well as using the plastic elbow hose connectors 5/16 to 3/8 in size would be appreciated?

Old 05-13-2004, 03:47 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 747trace
Tim,

The project consist of connecting a fuel line from the aux. fuel tank which is in the bed of the truck to a nipple which has been brased in the fuel neck pipe. The fuel will gravitity flow to the main tank and is operated by a switch inside the truck which opens a electric gate valve.

I had the tank made and installed. They did a great job on welding the tank however knew nothing of installing the connecting fuel line. They installed a fuel filter. The rubber hoses from the aux. tank to the fuel filter and from the filter filter to the fill neck tube are bent at right angles and are pinched off. I have been to the automotive stores looking for right angles brass hose fittings as well as the Ace hardward store. I purchased an assortment of fittings which after mating-up with each other will make a 90 degree angle with a hose fitting at each end. Obviously a piece of copper tubing bent to 45 degree would be great but is subject to corrosion. Stainless steel will be great if I can find it.

The other alternative is to use a plastic type material the automotive industry uses to connect vacuum hoses. That is the reason for the question about the plastic elbow exposed to diesel fuel. I sure appreciate the responses to using the copper tubing. I was prepared to use the copper and had it bent, cut ready to install.

This is my first diesel and I have a lot to learn. But rest assured I am doing my rearch and moving up the learning curve.

Additional Note:
From your previous comments I remember you wrote of your approval of the Performance Formula Stanadyne diesel fuel conditioner. I bought a case and thought I would start using the product after the engine breakin period, say 7500 miles. Your thoughts on that idea as well as using the plastic elbow hose connectors 5/16 to 3/8 in size would be appreciated?
Buy regular fuel hose and you will be fine.

Good choice on the Stanadyne....

Old 05-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
eventually diesel will melt the plastic--don't ask how I know--use fuel hose. Copper should not corrode in diesel.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EDIT--just saw your previous posts and answer from Horsepuller. I'm sure he is correct, but I have used copper and gravity flow diesel without a problem.