Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Blue smoke on startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:30 AM
eckart
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Blue smoke on startup

My 99 F350 psd with 13500km is in at ford. On start up it shoots a ball of blue smoke and then blue haze out of the pipe until it warms up a bit then it stops smoking. If you increase the rpm to 1200-1300 while its smoking it doesn't change but the second you let off the throtle it will shoot another big cloud of blue.It has no power (not much more than idle even though the peddal is to the floor)untill its been up to 1800-1900rpm under load once and then every thing is fine. I thought it was the warm up valve but if you ideal it up it doesn't have that jet sound the warmup valve has. They did a compresion test and all is fine. Now they think carbon is sticking the rings and they are going to decarbon it. Doesn't sound right but its still on warrenty so they are on their time. Thanks for any ideas?

Old 05-11-2004, 11:49 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Steve Baz's website:

Smoke Analysis

White smoke:

Caused by unburned fuel passing through the engine. Some white smoke is normal on cold start-ups. Excessive white smoke could be an indication of inoperative glow plugs, loose injectors, low compression from worn rings or bent connecting rods, or coolant leak into the cylinders--head gasket or injector well sleeves.

Black smoke:

Caused by excessive fuel for the amount of air drawn into the cylinders. Some black smoke on hard accelerate or at higher altitudes is normal. Excessive black smoke could result from restricted intake or exhaust, inoperative leaking or weak turbo, intake hose(s) leaks, leaking or worn injectors, fuel return or supply restriction, stuck Exhaust Back Pressure Regulator valve or solenoid. Also PCM inputs such as BARO MAP ICP or EBP sensors.

Blue or blue/white smoke:

Caused by insufficient fuel or oil consumption. Normal when engine is cold or idling for extended periods. Excessive smoke could be caused by air in the fuel, contaminated fuel, loose or plugged injectors, worn or leaking injector o-rings, thermostat stuck open, oil consumption, or plugged crankcase depression regulator valve. Also PCM inputs such as MAP or ICP sensors.

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_i...az/index3.html

Old 05-13-2004, 09:45 AM
eckart
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
They pulled the exaust manifolds and #5 is "oilier than the others" so they changed the injector for that clyinder and are going to see what it does. My question is, is it normal for the rest of the exaust ports to be oily? Thanks a lot for any info

Old 05-13-2004, 11:07 AM
wfodickinson
Senior User
I have the same issue with mine, not sure if I should replace the injector o-rings or the glow plugs.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:58 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wfodickinson
I have the same issue with mine, not sure if I should replace the injector o-rings or the glow plugs.
If you go to the trouble of removing the valve covers, or are having someone else do it, it makes sense to replace both.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:08 PM
wfodickinson
Senior User
How spendy are glowplugs and the harness/gasket for the valve cover. Mine likes to leak a bit.