1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

disc brake conversion/suspension upgrade

Old 05-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Drool Monkey
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disc brake conversion/suspension upgrade

which disc brake conversion would you guys get and why?? would I be better off buying an ifs now with brakes and everything in 1 kit, or buy them seperately. ...it would be a mustang 2 ifs. thanks!! ...im very excited about this. it is my 1st project!!

Old 05-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Scr8pinhrd
New User
The way I went was buy an IFS cross member setup then buy the rest of the stuff off ebay. It saved me about $400. I now have 11" disc, larger calipers and all new front end. Just .02

Old 05-11-2004, 04:52 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Drool Monkey
which disc brake conversion would you guys get and why?? would I be better off buying an ifs now with brakes and everything in 1 kit, or buy them seperately. ...it would be a mustang 2 ifs. thanks!! ...im very excited about this. it is my 1st project!!
Monkey,

If you are trying to keep costs down you can go with an aftermarket brake kit that does not include the rotors and calipers. These kits usually go for around $100 and you can pick up used rotors at salvage yards or Ebay, or go with rebuilt stuff from local parts houses. I have used one from Speedway Motors twice and was happy with the results both times. I think you can get a kit that uses Grenada rotors. I'd definitely spring for new calipers though since they aren't that expensive, rather than get into rebuilding used ones. If money is no object go for the IFS that includes the brake kit and save yourself some time searching for parts. Good luck...

Vern

Old 05-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Drool Monkey
Junior User
also, what would be the best way to go about power steering with a 428 in the front? are there going to be clearance issues??

Old 05-12-2004, 05:01 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
also, what would be the best way to go about power steering with a 428 in the front? are there going to be clearance issues??
Monkey,

If you go with the MII, I assume you would want to use a MII power rack. There should not be any clearance issues other than getting the steering linkage around the engine from the column to the rack. You should be able to do that with the appropriate Borgeson joints.

Vern

Old 05-12-2004, 06:00 AM
Scr8pinhrd
New User
The only concern I could see is if you went with headers that hung off the block a good bit. I have a 454 in mine and had to run block huggers to get the clearence for my steering.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:21 PM
fmt12ton
New User
Disc brake conversion

I used a disc brake conversion set up from Engineering Components Inc. (ECI) (Vernon, CT 860-872-7046 ecihotrodbrakes.com) on my '55. It is not on the road yet but seems to be good quality and went together OK. Only thing is on some trucks you have to move the grease fittings for the king pins because they are in the way of the adapter plates. (of course this was the case on mine). It uses a 73-93 F100 rotor with 71-76 full size GM calipers. It is a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. About $100 for basic kit and about $350 for everything. They have smaller bolt pattern set ups also. Good luck.
MLE

Old 05-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Drool Monkey
Junior User
ok, found a welder who will weld for free!(hes my neighbor, been welding for years) I am putting on a mustang ifs cross member and hitting a junk yard for all necessary parts. calipers and rotors wi;; be new though. any warnings before i start this?? Thanks you guys are helping me out immensely! ... and the bolt circle has to be 4.5"

Old 05-14-2004, 07:02 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
ok, found a welder who will weld for free!(hes my neighbor, been welding for years) I am putting on a mustang ifs cross member and hitting a junk yard for all necessary parts. calipers and rotors wi;; be new though. any warnings before i start this?? Thanks you guys are helping me out immensely! ... and the bolt circle has to be 4.5"
Just be sure you do NOT use MII rotors and brakes. They were barely adequate in the Mustang and not heavy enough for a truck...oh, and use new brake hoses. You should be able to find a kit using Granada rotors to get the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. If you can afford a rebuilt MII power rack use that instead of used. If you can pick up a used one really cheap, you might save $25-$50 on a core charge for the rebuilt rack and pinion...

Vern

Old 05-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Drool Monkey
Junior User
ok, I have a direction i want to go. ...in the end, i will have a truck worthy of an auto cross track!!! or i will waste alot of money trying. I will attempt to fit a big brake kit in the front and perhaps one for the back too. Definately a 4 link rear end, unless i find something that will work better. ...perhaps a subaru rear end wellded in the rear?? okok, whatever, but it will have tuner rims and tires (racinghart c4 19x10.5rear 19x9front ) and racing bucketsto go with it. custom console between the seats, for speakers...as well as in the head board, rear cab wall mount amps and underseat subs, 4-point harnesses. oh, and a custom head board mounted head unit console. ...built 428, c4 w/aod, & 9"..... ok now my questions to you. ....is there a rear end that has universal axle joints that will fit a 55 f100? where can i find it? ho0w much?? any info would be great. and i know you all now think im crazy, but i am!

Old 05-15-2004, 07:39 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
...is there a rear end that has universal axle joints that will fit a 55 f100? where can i find it? ho0w much?? any info would be great. and i know you all now think im crazy, but i am!
Monkey,

Don't plan on using anything out of a Suburu under this truck...it won't be heavy enough. I don't understand the rear end question...universal axle joints??

Old 05-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Drool Monkey
Junior User
I am asknig if ther is a ford diff with axles that can move independantly of one another. ...ive been playing with r/c cars lately and there called universals on them.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:32 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
irs? (Independent rear suspension) You could do a vette ifs, jag rearend, late model mustang cobra, ford explore(latest body style) None of these will just bolt in, It requires a bit more than that. Somebody else can elaborate. -4speed

Old 05-16-2004, 12:19 AM
scrape
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
series 2 jag or XJS should be the same wheel track as standard, limo or open with many gear options, not dear just a bit of work, changing stud pattern should be a breeze for a machine shop.
cya gary

Search this Thread