Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wastegate disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 07:25 PM
dlevey
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wastegate disconnect

I am a new user and a proud new owner of a 2001 psd (have waited all my life for this moment) I have a few questions. What are the pros and cons of disconnecting the wastegate, where is it, and how to you disconnect it? Also how many of you have straight piped your psd without a cat. I have been told that the noise was unbearable. Are they just sissys or is it too loud?

Old 05-08-2004, 07:29 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently running straight pipe, no cat, and you don't notice it at normal operating RPM. As soon as you get to about 2200 RPM it gets a lot louder. The noise that a lot of people complain about is the turbo flutter, but it doesn't really bother me.

If you want info on disconnecting the wastegate, get in touch with cookie88.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:08 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have mine straight piped and I love it!! It's not a sound for everyone but I recomend you try it!!

As far as disconnecting your wastegate, you should really have a boost gauge to be able to monitor your boost levels, and you'll probably have to put regulator or boost relief valve in the map sensor line so you don't get the ses light for overboost all the time. That being said... If you look back at the intake side of the turbo, there is a small canister looking thing with a rod coming out the back going over to the exhaust side. That's your wastegate actuator - there should be a small red air line hooked on to the actuator - just unplug it and push it on to one of your intercooler clamp bolts (or anything handy to block it) to keep it from bleeding off a tiny bit of boost.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:45 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dlevey
I am a new user and a proud new owner of a 2001 psd (have waited all my life for this moment)
Congratulations!! and welcome to the site.

What are the pros and cons of disconnecting the wastegate,
The upsides are it (the turbo) will spool faster and make higher peak boost. What that means to you is it will feel stronger at the bottem end, and it will keep the EGT's down better on the top end.

The (potential) downside is that you could pop the turbo if you make more than 25 psi on a regular basis, but that is pretty rare, and if you aren't running a power adder like a chip or propane it is a non issue.

I have yet to hear any muffler on a PSD that sounds as good as a straight pipe. It really isn't much louder in the cab at all, and a much deeper tone than any muffler I've heard yet. Kind of like a 460 with dual glasspacks.