1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

ABS system

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 08:26 PM
phantmlord
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS system

Hi,
This thread has probably been posted a hundred times, but for some reason my search option isn't working. My ABS light is on and I've tried resetting the system, but it comes right back on. Where is the system tester and can it be tested without a special tool. That is, you can check the ECM by counting the engine light as it blinks, but is there a way to test it so the ABS light blinks.
I did by a ford tool, but it doesn't cover Econline Vans. Oh yeah, I have a 91 Ford Econline High top. It has a rear side window measuring 43 1/2 inches at its widest point and I think I have been to every junk yard in South East PA without any luck in finding it. Its driving me crazy. Thanks. Brian

Old 05-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum
Sounds like it might be time to buy a manual
There should be a test connector that you unplug and then ground one side and then count the ABS light flashes.
I dont have a manual here to be able to tell you where the connector is or what color wires it has though and I cant remember the last time I checked out the ABS on a van.
If I had to guess I would say the test connector is behind the passenger's kick panel or under the dash on the passenger's side. One of the wires going into the connector will be black with an orange stripe, the other wire may be red.
Attach one end of a jumper wire to the black with orange stripe wire side of the diagnostic connector. Momentarily ground the opposite end of the jumper wire by connecting it to a good chassis ground for 1-2 seconds. Grounding this wire should start the yellow REAR ABS warning light flashing. Count the number of flashes.
The code consists of a number of short flashes and ends with a long flash. Count the short flashes and include the following long flash in the count to obtain the code number. For example, three short flashes followed by one long flash indicates diagnostic trouble Code 4. The code will continue to repeat itself until the key is turned off.
If you post the flashout count on here someone should be able to tell you what it means.

Old 05-06-2004, 08:41 AM
phantmlord
Freshman User
Thanks for the Info. I do have 2 manuals and the code tester came with one as well. Unfortunately, they are very vague and don't say anything about how to count flashes on either the Check engine or ABS light.

Old 05-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Bartat
New User
Hi Phantmlord

Don't know anything about the ABS but the side glass in your van may be obtained from a company called DCM,

www.dcm.com

Thier in Elkhart Indiana and I can recommend them.

when my window in my conversion van was smashed the companies here in the UK were quoting me £500+ to replace it (privacy glass) I came across DCM on the internet they were very efficent and I had the glass delivered within three days to my house in the UK $67 + shipping

hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
Hi Brian,

Pretty sure if it's 4 wheel abs..you have to go back to the stealership. Rear abs lets you do the light trick. I've heard the going rate is 75 to 100 bucks just for the diagnosis. The first time they went out, Ford fixed it free under warranty, but my brakes have been poor since. The light is on again....off and on I should say. This time I'll cover it with the black tape strip. I went back six times and tried another dealership, with no luck. That was the first time. I think I won't bother fixing them again.

Good luck