Notices

Roof Rack Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Darby11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Rack Needed

I have a 2003 F-150 SuperCab. I just purchased a 14' canoe that I will need to transport a few times a month. I was trying to find the best way to transport it.

I currently have the hard foam blocks that just sit on the top of the cab and the canoe balances on the four blocks and gets strapped through the cab and to the front and back of the truck.

My problem is that I don't like having the canoe "just" on foam blocks. I also have a hard tonneau cover that prevents me from using typical racks that fit over the box.

Does anyone know of a good roof rack to support the front of the canoe?? I am going to probably build a custom rack for the back that attaches to the bumber or hitch but I still need something for the front. I have thought about a Thule or a Yakima but I really don't see one there for the SuperCab.

Any ideas are totally welcome. Thanks in advance for any help.

Darby

Old 05-05-2004, 04:12 PM
95-F-350-4x4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabelas has a good system here is there the link. I have a canoe but I never carried it on my truck. We use my brothers 4 Runner and he bought a Thule rack and that thing is rock solid in the wind!
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te..._A&_DAV=search

Its a long link. Sorry hope it works!

Old 05-16-2004, 02:39 PM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It looks like that Cabelas rack makes use of front and rear receiever hitches as mounting points for the rack. Cool idea...and when it's not needed, just slide it out and stick it in the garage. It would be pretty easy to make something like that I would think. Wouldn't work on my CrewCab, as the truck is longer than a canoe, but fine for shorter trucks and SUV's. You can get a front reciever hitch for most trucks at www.thetowzone.com for around a 100-120 bucks. Also check out Yakima and Thule, as mentioned earlier, for other roof racks.