6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 02:32 PM
powerstrokedieselboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Superduper
My truck is an 04 with 11/3/03 build on engine and at 6K mi., doing the exact same thing. It has been at the dealers for 8 days now. They keep saying that they are talking to Ford, but no solution yet. I ran into a curb the other day, as the engine quit while I was turning at an intersection. It always does it on the restart after I have driven about 10-15 min. and let it sit for an hour or so. I go up to a crosswalk while waiting for the light to change and it starts lurching forward with a tach. increase of 400-500 rpms. Talk about dangerous! Of course I can't let my wife drive it, and I wouldn't dare go more than a short distance around town. This whole thing went on for a week or so before I took it to the dealer. Come back at me and let me know if they ever found a fix for your truck
I am having the same problem. I will NOT let my wife and new born baby ride in this truck. I have had the truck since early November 03' and they have had it for around 55 to 60 days at the Ford Dealership Shop. The last trip this past week was for the 2nd rear main seal leak, and i ask them to check the reving up thing. When I went to pick up the truck, the service guy told me that Ford is saying that this REVING UP is "NORMAL". I told him i didn't see how a safety issue could be normal. I am currently filling for the DSB. Just wanted to add my 2 cents, and let you know i am experiencing the same thing.

My trucks is sparadically reving up when it wants to, is yours?

Good Luck,
PSDboy

Old 05-07-2004, 04:14 PM
juang
New User
Unhappy

My truck is an 04 with 11/3/03 build on engine and at 6K mi., doing the exact same thing. It has been at the dealers for 8 days now. They keep saying that they are talking to Ford, but no solution yet. I ran into a curb the other day, as the engine quit while I was turning at an intersection. It always does it on the restart after I have driven about 10-15 min. and let it sit for an hour or so. I go up to a crosswalk while waiting for the light to change and it starts lurching forward with a tach. increase of 400-500 rpms. Talk about dangerous! Of course I can't let my wife drive it, and I wouldn't dare go more than a short distance around town. This whole thing went on for a week or so before I took it to the dealer. Come back at me and let me know if they ever found a fix for your truck
I just got a call from the dealer, the number 4 injector failed at low iddle but according to them, it was not doing it all the time, they will have the truck ready next Tuesday, one more week without my truck.

They asked Ford to allow them to change all injectors since in a month I had two injectors failed, Ford said NO they will only authorize replacement as they fail. I guess I still have 6 more problems ahead of me or just maybe a trade.

Old 05-07-2004, 04:17 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by juang
I just got a call from the dealer, the number 4 injector failed at low iddle but according to them, it was not doing it all the time, they will have the truck ready next Tuesday, one more week without my truck.

They asked Ford to allow them to change all injectors since in a month I had two injectors failed, Ford said NO they will only authorize replacement as they fail. I guess I still have 6 more problems ahead of me or just maybe a trade.

Ford HQ has stayed steadfast on this one!
It is a bummer but they will not move on it.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Superduper
Junior User
Originally Posted by powerstrokedieselboy
I am having the same problem. I will NOT let my wife and new born baby ride in this truck. I have had the truck since early November 03' and they have had it for around 55 to 60 days at the Ford Dealership Shop. The last trip this past week was for the 2nd rear main seal leak, and i ask them to check the reving up thing. When I went to pick up the truck, the service guy told me that Ford is saying that this REVING UP is "NORMAL". I told him i didn't see how a safety issue could be normal. I am currently filling for the DSB. Just wanted to add my 2 cents, and let you know i am experiencing the same thing.

My trucks is sparadically reving up when it wants to, is yours?

Good Luck,
PSDboy
PSDboy, Yes that is a good discription of what I have been experiencing the last couple weeks or so. My truck resided at the dealer repair shop for 9 days and no fix. They did get it to do the "rolling idle" thing and actually had it stop running once, but by the time they got it back to the shop, it was running O.K. again. Ford will not authorize any repair until they can get it into the shop and do tests on it while it is doing the reving up thing. So now what do I do? What is the chances of it acting up like that and getting into their repair bay while it is doing it. When it is doing it , it is really too dangerous to drive, So I have a truck parked out in my garage that I was planning on taking for long trips and getting a 5th wheel etc. and I can't even use it. Continue to let me know your progress or any other info you might come across. This is very frustrating, I thought this just happened to other people.

Thanx. for the reply, S.Duper

Old 05-08-2004, 03:43 PM
juang
New User
PSDboy, Yes that is a good discription of what I have been experiencing the last couple weeks or so. My truck resided at the dealer repair shop for 9 days and no fix. They did get it to do the "rolling idle" thing and actually had it stop running once, but by the time they got it back to the shop, it was running O.K. again. Ford will not authorize any repair until they can get it into the shop and do tests on it while it is doing the reving up thing. So now what do I do? What is the chances of it acting up like that and getting into their repair bay while it is doing it. When it is doing it , it is really too dangerous to drive, So I have a truck parked out in my garage that I was planning on taking for long trips and getting a 5th wheel etc. and I can't even use it. Continue to let me know your progress or any other info you might come across. This is very frustrating, I thought this just happened to other people.

Thanx. for the reply, S.Duper
My dealer had a portable scanner and they hook it up to the truck when they took it for a road test, any problems the scanner will pick it up. Ask your dealer to hook a portable scanner before road testing. According to my dealer they logged 200 miles before they could get the rough iddle again.
Hope it helps

Old 05-08-2004, 09:32 PM
powerstrokedieselboy
Senior User
juang,

Good idea!!!

SD,

As for you, i would check into the lemon law. L apolgize for mentioning this because this is all i have talked about for the last 2 months. But its frustating when you pay this much money for these trucks and sometime they are just problem plagued.

I thank everyone on this forum for being so understanding!!!!

Hang in there and stay tuned for post on my DSB. I will let ya'll know how it goes.

Take care and keep them PSD's in the wind

PSDboy

Old 05-12-2004, 03:04 PM
juang
New User
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by powerstrokedieselboy
juang,

Good idea!!!

SD,

As for you, i would check into the lemon law. L apolgize for mentioning this because this is all i have talked about for the last 2 months. But its frustating when you pay this much money for these trucks and sometime they are just problem plagued.

I thank everyone on this forum for being so understanding!!!!

Hang in there and stay tuned for post on my DSB. I will let ya'll know how it goes.

Take care and keep them PSD's in the wind

PSDboy
I just got a call from my dealer, they replaced the number 4 injector, the truck is still running rough at idle. The technician called Ford, they are coming down to look at my truck again. I do not kinow how long I can take this either the truck has been in the shop on and off 30 days out of the last 6 months and still not running right and they do not know what to do. I just sent Ford the required notification prior to filling under Florida Lemon Law. I do not know if I would ever trust this truck on a long trip.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:41 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
I do not know if I would ever trust this truck on a long trip.
Make sure that is in all your documentation.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:30 PM
juang
New User
Angry

Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
I do not know if I would ever trust this truck on a long trip.
Make sure that is in all your documentation.
I have kept all of my documents that indicate 4 service calls and 27 days out of service at the dealer for EXACTLY the same reason Ford just called me today and they are sending Monday morning an engineer to look at my truck. Since the last repair it has been running better and the rough idle comes and goes. I do have noticed that my gas mileage has dropped, strong smell is coming out of the truck while iddling and it seems to me that the idle is a tab faster. I believe they have re-programed the truck to disguise the rough idle, before if I accelerated the truck a little bit the rough idle would go away. The smell is like the catalitic converter is burning raw fuel even though heavy smoke is not coming out.

Does anyone has any idea what they could have done, the truck has definetly not been fixed and the rough idle is still there it just happens mostly on heavy, stop and go traffic.

Old 05-22-2004, 04:40 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
Just a possibility, they did this to my 04/04.

"Then they discovered a bad #1 injector. After replacing it, they still got a secondary fuel system code. Did some other testing, eliminating some potentials. Then performed a fuel pressure test. It first had good pressure, but then it bleeded off. So they replaced the "fuel conditioning module". All fault codes then gone."

Just a thought.

Old 05-22-2004, 05:59 PM
SZMatters
Freshman User
I had the rough idle for a while, but Oct flash cured. Just recently I've started getting a "high idle" at each cold start (not that cold... 60-70 degree weather). Engine immediately goes to 1100 RPMS. Then alternates between 1100 and 1200 RPMS for 5-7 minutes. Dealer says it's normal but I'm not convinced. Mostly due to the recent start of the symptom. Seems kinda dumb that the PCM would take a cold engine to 1100 RPMS before oil pressure was up... Anybody have any thoughts?