Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Banks

Old 06-17-2002, 12:08 AM
myst
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks

I just installed a banks wastegate and the hot side of the turbo. and it made me lose boost through 1st. and 2nd. gear so i called the guys a banks and they told me it would have more boost and i could keep on it longer while pulling. They also told me is should get my chip reprogrammed to 100 hp. What do yall think??

Old 06-17-2002, 09:47 AM
Scotte
Senior User
Banks

I am not trying to be smart, but I would like to know what you think that the wastegate does?
My limited elementary understanding of the wastegate is simply, it keeps you from overboosting the designed limits of your engine. If a overboost occurs, the wastegate opens and bleeds off the excess pressure so that damage does not occur. In other words, if you are running at max. throttle and you get out of it abruptly, (the turbo is "spooled up") the air has no where to go, so the wastegate opens and lets off the pressure. In larger diesel engines I often hear this happen in the mountains while downshifting. You are pulling down hard at max. throttle and get off the throttle to shift, (for lack of better words) the throttle plate closes, the air is no longer going into the engine and has no where to go, so instead of the air hitting a brick wall and doing damage to the turbo (remember, it is spooled up at 10s of thousands of RPMs) the wastegate comes into play. I do know that some of the chip companies are installing something called a boost tube into the wastegate vacuum line when you install the chip. I am not sure if it totally blocks the line or just restricts it somewhat. In effect, the wastegate either does not open or it does so at greater pressures. On my Powerstroke, when an overboost happens at high RPMs, the check engine light comes on for awhile and then goes off. I am not familar with the Banks wastegate, maybe that is what they are desiring, one that does not open until greater presure is achieved/more boost???

Old 06-17-2002, 01:07 PM
myst
Senior User
Banks

my cousin got a boost tube with his 100 hp chip and it has a little weap hole the air can release from.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:00 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Banks

Anyone running a 100 HP chip is asking for trouble. Its the reason why Superchips no longer sells 100HP chips except for racing and why I require a release form for 90+ HP chips before I program them.

Old 06-18-2002, 08:41 AM
myst
Senior User
Banks

So you think i should just leave it a 70 hp??

Old 06-18-2002, 09:11 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Banks

Here's what Superchips has to say about them:

THE FORD POWERSTROKE EXTREME CHIPS AND FILES WERE DEVELOPED FOR RACING ONLY APPLICATIONS AND WERE NEVER INTENDED TO BE USED ON THE STREET OR FOR DAILY DRIVING. SUPERCHIPS STRIVES TO MAKE ALL OF ITS CHIPS SAFE AND RELIABLE AND TO WORK WITHIN DESIGN PARAMETERS OF THE VEHICLE AND POWERETRAIN. THESE EXTREME FILES PUSH THE FUNCTIONAL DESIGN LIMITS OF BOTH THE VEHICLE AND THE POWERTRAIN. ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE USE OF THESE CHIPS WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER THE FORD WARRANTY. SUPERCHIPS WILL IN NO WAY ACCEPT ANY LIABILITY FOR THE USE OF THESE CHIPS OR FILES.

IN CERTAIN RACING ONLY SITUATIONS SUPERCHIPS WILL MAKE AND SELL EXTREME CUSTOM FILES, BUT THE CUSTOMER MUST SIGN SPECIAL RELEASE FORMS ACCEPTING FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE USE OF THESE FILES.

Old 06-18-2002, 07:40 PM
goalie
Freshman User
Banks

Search this Thread