Bronco II Ford Bronco II

87 Bronco II automatic stopped shifting...WHY ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 01:28 PM
RomerB2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not really sure what the little plastic piece did, they said something about helping with shifting but dont quote me on that, but they thought when they first opened my transfer case that that was the problem and they were going to get one from a different b2 but figured it might be bad too so they decided to buy a new one, and also on the design flaw there is something on the driveshaft where it hooks up to the tranny that causes a kink which causes the driveshaft to be thrown, and they didnt take off anything but they made me an entirely new driveshaft, id have to get some pics of it ill see what i can do, but they were confident in the driveshaft they made so if anything happened they'd replace it for free

Old 07-19-2004, 09:24 AM
artjacobson
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TimmyAbrams
Art, have you had any luck changing the modulator? I'm starting to have shifting problems (the fluid is fine) and I'm thinking it may be the modulator.

I've looked underneath at the tranny and figured that I'm going to have to cut off the exhaust from the cats back. I'm going to straight pipe it over the side until inspections are due next year.

I'm suppose that the modulator should be a fairly easy fix, as long as I don't lose the "pin" that everyone talks about. This will be a totally new fix for me, so if anyone has any advise, I would be much appreciative!

Thanks and beers,

Tim
Thanks for your reply. In my thread from 5-2-04 I spoke of an ecm-looking module under the dash with a set screw that another reader had discribed. Is that the Modulator you speak of? I looked for it back in May, but could not spot it, there is so little room up there, & I am not sure what I am looking for. Let me know where it is, if you have spotted it. Thanks, Art J.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The modulator is on the passengers side of the tranny.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:32 PM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
Ken00 and art:

I didn't get a chance to tear into it today...I'll give yall an update tomarrow. If anyone needs pictures, I'll take them while I'm doing the modulator. I was hoping that someone has changed one out before so that I'm not going into this work project blind.

Anyways, If anyone needs pictures of how to do a modulator valve changeout, let me know (reply to this post) and I'll try to send them to yall.

Beers,

Tim

Old 07-20-2004, 10:32 AM
artjacobson
Freshman User
Thanks, I'll check it out today. The mechanic that installed my used tranny said they had a heck of a time getting the old one out, used one in due to the cat. convert. Artjacobson

Old 07-20-2004, 10:34 AM
artjacobson
Freshman User
Thanks, I'll find it! Artj

Old 07-21-2004, 01:22 AM
artjacobson
Freshman User
The only thing I saw from the ground, was a device at the right front of the tranny , black, about the size of a short magic marker, connected by wires. It is pretty hard to see anything else, due to the cat. If you have a photo, that would be helpful. Thanks, Art

Old 07-21-2004, 02:21 PM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
well art, I think that you are looking at the O2 sensor. It has several wires coming off of it. It is on the exhaust before the cat. I didn't get a chance to tear into the tranny on monday or tuesday. I tried to unbolt the exhaust, but the nuts were completely rusted to the pipes. I'm going to use a saws-all today and cut it all out. I'll take a picture and then try to post it on the board (if I'm able to). If you hear from me this evening, everything went well. If not, I gave up and started drinking and calling mechanics in the area.

Tim

Old 07-21-2004, 03:35 PM
85B2Owner
Junior User
Come on guys, the A4LD sucks and it will stop working on you if u take it thru a carwash.

Old 07-25-2004, 11:34 AM
artjacobson
Freshman User
After checking the kickdown cable, as a reader previously suggested, I found that the device that holds the cable to the firewall was loose, so I attatched it, &, although not perfect, shifting has improved! The cable may need adjusted at the tranny, if that is possible. So, this is a step in the right direction! Art

Old 07-27-2004, 12:20 AM
artjacobson
Freshman User
Tim, See my entry from 7-25-04 on the BII

Old 08-31-2004, 07:07 PM
jclopezv
Freshman User
I have a similar problem with my BII 1987, every morning (or evening when I finish work) I have to shift her manualy or get her very hi-rev to get all the shifts, after the engine warms up my little truck is able to shift normally.
Today, the only spot I found in the garage was one at the roof of the parking bldg, today was 80 F, that means that my little truck received a sun-bath during the whole day. I wasn't in the mood to shift manually, so I was ready to press the pedal to the metal, but, for my surprise, It shifted like a brand new car, very smooth, quite and nice. HOW COME? Is there a "sensor", "temp. valve" related with the shifting?? Any ideas?
JC

Old 09-01-2004, 12:52 AM
artjacobson
Freshman User
BII shifting.

JC, What seemed to help me the most was fixing the kickdown cable, which comes from the driver's side firewall, & goes to the tranny. Mine had come loose at the firewall, so it was sloppy when the tranny was trying to shift. I screwed the holding bracket down to the firewall to take up the slack in the cable, & it shifts a lot better. There may be some slack in the cable on down the line, but I haven't checked, as the BII is sitting waiting for a possible buyer. Also, read the previous threads on this issue, other readers have some other suggestions. Good luck, Art

Old 09-06-2004, 03:49 PM
artjacobson
Freshman User
'86 BII shifting problem

Well, a potential buyer of the BII got it 10 miles away, & it slowed to a crawl, & would only go in 1st gear. When I got to it, the engine noise was fierce, but settled down later after it cooled down. It drives around a few blocks ok, but shifting is still deliberate. I took up some slack on the kickdown cable at the top of the foot feed to see if that would help, maybe some help, but is still a mystery. I still cannot find this ecm looking module under the dash that says auto transmission solenoid that IamToyoftherm wrote about on 7-20-03, & did not further pursue the possible vacuum line to the modulator problem. Any other thoughts out there before I go to a tranny shop or the junkyard? Thanks, Art

Old 01-17-2005, 12:52 AM
artjacobson
Freshman User
Modulator

I replaced the modulator/had it done, $100+. Seems to help, but it is still not shifting right. I still think it is something simple (wishful thinking). Anyone else have any ideas on this tired old problem? Art

Quick Reply: 87 Bronco II automatic stopped shifting...WHY ?