Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Slider is a Beast

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Lifted94XLT
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slider is a Beast

Friday night (April 23, 2004), a buddy of mine, TJ, brought his Dodge Ram out to Mark's house so we could install his new Locker for his front D44.... (I'm gonna skip the details of this largely drawn out install)
So, we get done about 11pm or around there, so TJ and I head back into Manhattan, and he followed me so I could show him where to get onto 24 highway from Manhattan. Well, THANK GOD, I stopped to ask him a question and he inormed me that his wheel bearing wasn't gonna make it home (it was gone). So, I told him to get back behind me and follow me to a near by gas station.... There, in the highly lit parking lot, I pulled out my floor jack that I always carry in Slider and lifted up his front end so I could check it out. Well, I tested it, and it was DEFINITELY NOT gonna make it all the way back to McClouth (TJ's home town). So, I told him to park it so we could head BACK out to Ogden, and pick up Mark's Trailer. Well, we get out there and realize that we didn't have a hitch ball that with a small enough shank to fit in my bumper. So, we drove BACK into Manhattan to the Wal-Mart to pick up a hitch ball that would fit, then head BACK out to Ogden to actually hook up to the trailer and bring it back into town to load up the Goat (TJ's Ram). Well, we get back to the gas station, and start to load the Goat onto the trailor... This is where the fun starts!! So, as TJ starts pullin' up onto the ramps, I start watchin Slider get instant lift!!! well, by the time TJ's front tires were on the trailor, Slider's back tires were about 6 inches off the ground!! I told TJ to keep pulling up, well, that didn't work, b/c as he started pulling up, Slider started doin the same, so I got into the cab, and hit the brakes so he could get the rest of the way on the trailer. So, we get it loaded (perfectly I might add ), and we get it tied down, then I notice how bulged Slider's rear tires are, so I check the pressure, and sure enough, 30 PSI!! We then pull over to put air in the tares (remember this is at about 3am by this point). As I started airin up the tares, I realize that no air is goin in! After about 5 minutes of tryin', we both realize that there's too much weight on the tires, so we get out the hi-lift and raise most of the weight off the back end, and I'm able to get 40psi into the tires.... alright, one more stop at Wal-mart for trailer light wiring (which ended up not working anyway.... Slider's ground was cut) so, we hit the road at about 4:30am with just the 4-ways on the Goat flashing, and traveling at about 35-40mph down 24 highway. this was a fun drive... really... TJ and I got to know each other pretty well, and I actually had a BLAST!! Well, make a long story not so long, we hit his house at about 7:30 Saturday morning, and unload, he was homd safe. Well, I did calculations tonight, and the trailer is about a 2k pound trailer + the 3900 lbs Ram = almost 6,000 lbs. that Slider was pulling BY THE BUMPER, which only had two bolts in it. so, in conclusion, Slider is a BEAST!!!

Old 04-26-2004, 01:54 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Lifted94XLT Thats quite a night you put in helping your buddy out. Sound like you are amazed how your BEAST performed. Impressive. Glad everything turned out alright for you. I bet you guys are a lot closer now than you ever have been. Good thing you were around or hed be stuck on the highway all night. Hope your buddy gets his truck fixed looks like a nice one. I just looked at the pictures he has something written on his bumper what does that say. Just curious. Glad everyone is safe. Thanks

Old 04-26-2004, 01:57 AM
Lifted94XLT
Elder User
yeah, it was a fantastic night actually.... I am so impressed with its performance towing b/c I'm running 32'' tires with 3.27 gears! That's why I'm impressed. haha. He got his Truck fixed already, and the decal on him bumper says upside-down "If You Can Read This.... Turn Me Over''

--Ryan

Old 04-26-2004, 02:14 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
You do have one nice rig there. That lift and those tires really make that explorer awesome. Are you happy with the performance of your truck does she handle nice. What kind of mpg. Enough power. Thanks

Old 04-26-2004, 07:27 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
I thought I had seen that dodge truck somewhere and I have. I went back and looked in my April edition of Petersons 4 Wheel and off road in the whoops column and theres your buddies truck stuck in a pond gettin pulled out by a red ford. His first name is TJ which is on the picture. You probably have seen this. Thought you would like to know.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:28 AM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Way to go Ryan thats how to help others out. Sure made for a long night though.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Lifted94XLT
Elder User
150Ford, the Explorer doesn't handle that great, but most lifted vehicles don't; It gets about 8mpg, and its highly underpowered. haha
Yeah, TJ's Dodge IS in that magazine for one of the worst stucks. The sad thing is, he's been stuck MUCH worse than that.

--Ryan