Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 diesel cold starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 11:54 AM
rafterjf250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 7.3 diesel cold starting problem

I bought a 99 F350 duallie a few months ago, my first diesel. I also added a Banks Stinger Plus and Exhaust brake. For the most part it runs great. However, I just took a road trip, and in what I considered to be pretty mild cold temperatures (40-45 fahrenheit) in Jackson, Wyoming, the truck just would not start-up in the morning without going at it for awhile. After it did start, it would then reliably start all day long.

I was advised by a dealer to use the engine block heater overnight, and we got home to Seattle with no problems. With respect to the actual problem, other helpful people with diesels seemed to focus on three things: 1) possible bad fuel; 2) possible bad glow plugs; 3) possible bad glow plug relay. I believe we eliminated # 1 as a possibility by dumping the fule from the filter, but numbers 2-3 remain as possibles.

I have heard that Ford has had significant problems with their glow plugs...any truth to that? If so, any recommendations ?

Any suggestions on the relay ?

Thanks....

Old 09-04-2002, 07:00 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know there are no "problems" with the glow plugs (they don't last forever) but there are some problems with the glow plug relay. That is what I'd look at first.

Old 09-04-2002, 07:21 PM
88B_RONC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts