CDL for f350?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 07:36 AM
Fordguy581
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDL for f350?

Hi everyone, I'm considering to buy a 2018 f350 DRW and since the gwr of my trailer is 14,000 lbs and the truck is over 12,000 gvrw that means my gcrw would be over 26k lbs. I'm not hauling for commercial use, I'm just moving my tractor and concrete blocks for a garage I'm building for myself. I'm located in Virginia but I'll be driving into West Virginia. Right now as I understand the laws in both states personal use is exempt from the CDL requirements, but it's a little unclear in West Virginia's CDL book under 'who is exempt?'it says ' per the commercial motor vehicle safety act of 1986, vehicles used exclusively for personal use as recreational vehicles and rental trucks used only to transport the driver's personal and/or household property.' so I'm unclear if it only applies to RVs and rental trucks or any truck for personal use.

Thanks for your help,

Old 03-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Personal use..

if you are NOT billing or earning from someone to transport a product or item, cash or other monetary means..

you are moving your stuff. for yourself.. you are good.

now if you are billing your spouse for the truck.. that is another matter... best of luck with the New truck

I held a CDL,, till health issues.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Fordguy581
Freshman User
CDL for f350

Ok thanks for the help, so it seems like I should be fine since I'm not going to be billing anyone it's all for myself. I'll just have to check with my insurance company if they'll insure it with my regular policy, I've heard that you need commercial insurance even if it only is used for personal use.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:42 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
No CDL required in West Virginia for personal use, as CFF pointed out. If your insurance company requires commercial insurance, you need a different company.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Fordguy581
Freshman User
CDL for f350?

OK that makes sense, I've heard that if it's not a RV you will have a hard time to prove personal use, such as carrying materials for my garage. Do you have any advice how I would do that?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 03-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wrvond
No CDL required in West Virginia for personal use, as CFF pointed out. If your insurance company requires commercial insurance, you need a different company.
Roger That...

my insurance.. personal use till F 550..... but F 450 needs to be for RV use ... my understanding...
as far as out of state. does not matter.. its your state.. others will side with it. unless you MOVE THERE....

Old 03-07-2018, 12:53 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a policy thru progressive commercial for my F450. On the policy it is noted that it is private personal use not a business. I am currently paying 199 a year for liability only. I need to look into more coverage but man 200 a year is nice.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Fordguy581
Freshman User
CDL for f350?

Thanks for the information, in the case I get pulled over for some type of traffic violation will the officer believe it's personal use or how would I be able to provide proof that it is not commercial? I've heard that if you're hauling something other than a RV then they won't believe you unless you have provided a proof. I just don't want to have to hire a CDL driver to drive it home if the officer says that it is commercial, as it is not commercial it's all for myself/ personal use.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 03-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
in this case.. the officer might need to prove you are Commercial.. not the other way around...

You say personal.. it is personal.. till proven different.

but I can say.. that type of issue is almost Zero to happen... maybe in a bad crash. and your are very Overloaded....

I have NO IDEA HOW.. one would / could prove personal use.. nor a document that would say that.
other then your Word...

I met a guy that had a Freightliner tractor for RV use.. and its stated as Licensed as RV on the side of truck.. pulling a 46 foot toy hauler..

by ,

Old 03-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Fordguy581
Freshman User
CDL for f350?

Sure that makes sense, so I think that I'll be fine, but I might call the DMV to discuss with them. After that I'll go ahead with the new truck purchase.
Thanks for everyone's help

Old 03-08-2018, 07:17 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordguy581
OK that makes sense, I've heard that if it's not a RV you will have a hard time to prove personal use, such as carrying materials for my garage. Do you have any advice how I would do that?

Thanks,
Paul
Regular law enforcement doesn't generally get too concerned about that. Commercial/private use is normally under the watchful eye of the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement folks - those guys you see hanging out near weigh stations and such. They are the ones equipped with portable scales and such.
The first thing they are going to look at is your license plate. If you own a business, or are pulling commercially, you are going to have a license plate that allows you to carry more than 26,000 pounds. Next is your driver's license - a regular operator's license will not allow you to carry over 26,000 pounds commercially. Without these two items, and lacking any kind of DOT placard, you must, by process of elimination, be pulling privately.

Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
Roger That...

my insurance.. personal use till F 550..... but F 450 needs to be for RV use ... my understanding...
as far as out of state. does not matter.. its your state.. others will side with it. unless you MOVE THERE....
This is exactly correct. Whatever your state requires is all you need to conform to.

Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
I have a policy thru progressive commercial for my F450. On the policy it is noted that it is private personal use not a business. I am currently paying 199 a year for liability only. I need to look into more coverage but man 200 a year is nice.
I'm paying $303.00 per month for my unladen insurance, but it is basically commercial full coverage. I'd love to only pay $200.00 a year!

Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
in this case.. the officer might need to prove you are Commercial.. not the other way around...

You say personal.. it is personal.. till proven different.

but I can say.. that type of issue is almost Zero to happen... maybe in a bad crash. and your are very Overloaded....

I have NO IDEA HOW.. one would / could prove personal use.. nor a document that would say that.
other then your Word...

I met a guy that had a Freightliner tractor for RV use.. and its stated as Licensed as RV on the side of truck.. pulling a 46 foot toy hauler..

by ,
Agreed - contrary to the best efforts of some, this is still 'Merika and we are (more or less) innocent until proven guilty!

Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Fordguy581
Freshman User
Ok thanks for the advice, I actually where I drive there's no weight stations anyway. I'll still call wvdot and the DMV to be completely sure (since they enforce the rules) then I'll buy the truck.

Thanks for the help,
Paul

Old 03-08-2018, 06:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
don't get wrapped around the axle on this. Private is private.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:58 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
When you pick up the block you get a receipt (B.O.L.) who will it be billed to?
It should be you so no issue there that I see.

I drive a trailer truck and got pulled over by DOT for "by passing a scale" I was not, my drop was just down the road off that exit.
I showed the BOL with the address and all was good.
Dave - - - -

Old 03-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Fordguy581
Freshman User
Thanks for the tips, yes I would be on the receipt/ bill of lading. So I should be fine.

Quick Reply: CDL for f350?