1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 Just Died

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Ming
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 Just Died

I need to find out what happend to my Diesel. I was leaving a parking lot and the roads were busy so I gunned it to get out in traffic and it took of then it just stopped. The motor just quit running no rough idleing it just stopped. I tried to start it and it won't start and the wait light on the dash is not coming on now. So it just cranks over now but won't start. Any clues gang. I know nothing of diesels this is my first one.

Old 04-22-2004, 06:47 PM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
Check all your engine compartment fuses.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Tasslehoff13
Junior User
Look at the tach for movement while your cranking it over. If you don't see the tach needle move it could be the Cam Position Sensor (CMP) very common for the sensor to just quit. How many miles on the truck? Just a guess but if you can get the diagnostic codes from the computer it may point you in the right direction. If it's the CMP you should get one of the following codes:
P0340 Inactive CMP Sensor circuit
P0341 CMP Noise rejection.....CMP Sensor circuit performance
P0344 CMP/SYNC Counts ......CMP sensor circuit intermittent
You will need an OBDII code reader. If it happens to be the CMP try to get the part from an International dealer($80.00) if not Ford get's around $185.00. Before you go throwing parts at the truck try to narrow it down. There are definitely folks on this site with more expertise than me. Also you can search the site for CMP or cam sensor threads that might get you looking in the right direction. Be careful cranking her over beacause you will quickly run the Batteries down.
GOOD LUCK

Old 04-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Ming
New User
I cranked it and the tach did not move. I did hook up a code scanner to it but it didn't read it. The scanner said the truck was not responding to the scan. I am hoping this is not a bad sign. The wait to start light still won't come on.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:45 PM
samahi72
Senior User
The exact same thing happened to me, my truck was just idling and it stopped. The wait to start engine light did not come on either. It turned out to be a burnt out fuse in the engine compartment. It will be the one furthest away from you, but check them all. I replaced the fuse and it has been running fine ever since. This fuse I believe controls the fuel heater and it may have shorted out. If the replacement fuse blows out as well, you can unplug the fuel heater (The connector is down along the intake manifold) and try a new fuse. If it doesn't blow, then you know you have a problem with the fuel heater.