Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Who's else is driving around without a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:29 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yea, funny story. I was looking at this Mustang in the parking lot inside the USAF base and I noticed it didn't have a front license plate. I checked the windshield and I saw it didn't have a Texas registration sticker either. All it had was the State Inspection sticker, which is required no matter where your car is registered, and the military sticker. So, I quickly assumed the car was from out of state. It's pretty common on military installations anyway.

A minute later, I saw a friend of mine getting into the car. This friend has lived in Texas for the past 10 years at least!. So I came up to him and asked him why he didn't have a front license plate. He said there weren't any holes on the bumper to mount the plate. I told him the Mustang has pre-cut holes that are sort of painted over and you just take metal screws and it will cut its way in. He said he intended to go to the Ford place to ask them for a bracket.

Then I ask him about the Texas registration sticker. He replied, "What sticker?" I asked him how could he be driving this car for five months and never put the sticker on? He said he never saw a sticker. I reminded him it came with the plates. He said he doesn't remember a sticker.

Anyway, he's gonna go check with the dealer. It was just funny to me that he has gone five months without a sticker and a plate and didn't even think much about it.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Tadashi
Elder User
Sorry to go off topic a little but how do you keep the bra from eating through the paint in order to use it to hold the license plate?

Old 05-12-2004, 06:21 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tadashi
Sorry to go off topic a little but how do you keep the bra from eating through the paint in order to use it to hold the license plate?
I don't know yet. Maybe a piece of wood a little smaller than the plate, wrapped in an old t-shirt. Then that could be on the inside. And the plate would be on the other side (outside) of the bra and then drive some screws through.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:47 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had bras b4 and once on I don't think they can ever come off because of paint wear and grit behind the bra rubbing on the paint ...
then there's the SUN not hitting the whole paint job and different fading may be an issue.. ????

sorry, can u tell I'm not sold on 'em ?!?

Old 05-13-2004, 07:58 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
I was only going to use the bra when I travel on I-35 between cities. Not for day-to-day driving.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:09 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

well if you've got a twelve, six down and still counting while you're going down the road, *shaking head* ... i got a custom plate i want to put on the front of my truck but i don't wanna mess with putting the other one on the dash. i have a friend who has a custom airbrushed plate on the front of his truck and his tx plate on the dash. i ended up just putting my custom plate in the back glass between my fte sticker, and my friends don't let friends drive chevy's sticker that i got from fte... love that sticker.. so does everyone else for that matter. ;-)

Old 05-15-2004, 11:19 PM
occupant
Senior User
I have had enough cars over the last decade to know that Texas is pretty particular about having that front plate. I don't know why they feel it's necessary to have one on the front, they look so fugly on newer Chrysler products, Vettes, sports cars. But driving a Buick or a Volvo or a truck, I might as well have it, and if it falls off, I'll deal with it next time I renew my tags. Online renewals now, you know, but I think you have to go to the tax office to get replacement tags.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:08 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hardly ever have a front license plate on my trucks, but when I do it's usualy a Texas flag or Confederate flag plate. Only time I use my regular plate is if I'm traveling. SD and Highway partol around here seems pretty cool about it, but dont want to take chances farther out from home.

Old 05-18-2004, 08:22 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
Ok, let's say your front plate fell off and you decided to go to the DPS to purchase a replacement plate. How long does that take? How much does it cost?

Old 05-18-2004, 03:06 PM
faroffthetrack
Elder User
Call dps?

Old 05-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Ok, let's say your front plate fell off and you decided to go to the DPS to purchase a replacement plate. How long does that take? How much does it cost?
Actaully, in Texas, you have to go to your counties tax office for the plates. They will generally re-issue new plates (2) and charge you the full registration fee.