Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 psd automatic trans

Old 09-22-2002, 07:33 PM
gseeders
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 psd automatic trans

Two weeks ago I took apx. 4000. lb load to Amarillo Texas, apx.500. mi.
when I got into town I drove around to get familiar with the town again. apx. 45 minutes of traffic lights and 30 to 40 max mph.
Here's my problem after leaving a light I heard growling noise. realizied that i probably should of had it ( transmission ) in drive, instead of overdrive! anyway I was there 3 days and while in town left it out of overdrive. didnt have any more problems untill last week I was taking a 5000 lb load of scrap metal to the scrap yard so i pushed in the overdrive button to disable and the trans started to scream at me. more like a high pitch whistle. Put it back in overdrive and it went away. what could be going on with this tranny???
any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

gseeders

2001 f250 automatic 49,000 mi . trans serviced at 30,000 and I never dog this truck by any streach of the imagination. never!

Old 09-22-2002, 11:41 PM
SMSP
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 psd automatic trans

I know a guy who services just ambulances and does a lot of work with the Fords and PSDs. It seems that there is a weak spot in the 99+ flywheels and torque converters. I'm not sure what goes wrong with the torque converters but the flywheels crack. SHooting from the hip you may have something going bad with the converter and maybe the sound goes away when it's in overdrive and locked up???

Now my question. I have an 01 Crew Cab 2WD with an auto tranny. When I come to a stop and the tranny shifts back into first I get a metallic clunking noise. Every thing else about the tranny is fine, up & down shifts are fine and no unusual noise. Saturday morning I dropped the tranny fluid pan and found 4 pieces of wire, maybe 3/8" long and aaround 22g. The end of the wire was turned in a loop (1/8" diameter). There were also some other loops in the pan. I believe the pieces make up 2 springs, sort of like the kind that are used to hold small doors open on appliances, i.e. your VCR door.

Well I have no idea what they are. I had to take a trip this weekend so I cleaned the pan, replaced the filter and top the tranny off again with some Quaker State Mercon III ATF. I did not want it to go into 1st gear, so I dropped it into "N" when coming to a stop and started out in 2nd gear everytime. The truck ran great as always and even turned in a tank at 22 mpg.

Does anyone have an idea of what these pieces are from? I assume something with first gear. What it takes to repair it? Thanks.

Old 09-24-2002, 01:20 PM
gseeders
Senior User
2001 psd automatic trans

Took my truck to the tranny shop today to see if maybe thay could tell if the tranny was developing a problem.They couldn't fine anything wrong said fluid look like I just changed it, there wasn't anything laying in the bottom of the pan, and when he drove it in his opinion everything was fine.
Ask about the torque converter and he said that some converters had a rattle problem that left unatended would result in failure. also said that if you had a torque converter problem that you would tell by the fluid (discolored,burnt)rather quickly.

gseeders

Old 09-24-2002, 01:30 PM
gseeders
Senior User
2001 psd automatic trans

Smsp

The man at the tranny shop said that it might have something to do with the clutch disc for 1st gear. But couldn't be certain. Didn't ask about a price cuz without knowing what is wrong it wouldn't be accurate. I con only say that if I had pieces in the bottom of my pan I wouldnt drive it till I was sure it was fixed! Iam just not the type to be stranded on the side of the road!! Good luck hope it isn't major!
gseeders