Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil in fuel

Old 09-13-2002, 03:43 PM
fatbob
Junior User
oil in fuel

At about 90K miles one of my buddies commented about my injectors making so much noise. He told me to put a quart of 10W-30 or 30 weight in each tank at fill-ups, that it would quieten and prolong the life of the injectors. It tried it and it seems to work, at least they are quieter. Will this cause any long term adverse affects?

Old 09-17-2002, 10:32 AM
Saigon
Elder User
oil in fuel

Doesn't seem like a good idea,fuel oil and motor oil have nothing to do with each other, you must smoke a hell of alot ! Plus you'r going to carbon up the pistons and all.
I would just stick with the noise if I were you, especially if your truck runs good.

Magic

Old 09-25-2002, 07:44 PM
kmill35
Junior User
oil in fuel

Thats a good question. Big truck guys add tranny fluid to their big diesels every once and a while. It works fairley well. Ford doesnt reccomend it in the Stroke. They reccommend a Lubricity additive to be added to the fuel at regular intervals. It reduces wear on the injectors. i cant remember the part # . My brother puts deisel additive in his fuel and has never had any deisel problems. He had a 1986 F-250 6.9L and now has a 1997 F-250 4WD Stroke with a 5spd. I hope this helps

Kevin
Instructor Tennessee Technology Center at Covington
Automotive Technology
Ford Diesel Technician Certified

Old 09-25-2002, 07:47 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
oil in fuel

I use Stanadyne Diesel Additive. It lubricates the injectors, and happens to clean them, and provide a cetane boost, which makes the truck run notieceably better. It doesn't add much to the cost of operation, and the way the truck runs makes up for it.

Old 09-26-2002, 07:32 AM
fatbob
Junior User
oil in fuel

Well, I've been running for about two years now, using oil intermittantly and can see no difference in performance or fuel mileage. It does seem to quieten the injectors, and there is no noticable smoking, either. In fact, the only difference I can notice is a quietening of the injectors. I think I will try the Stanadyne, though.