Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

How can i get my brakes right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:03 AM
PoolBoy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How can i get my brakes right?

I'm having problems with my brakes. Monday i found my master cylinder was leaking. I replaced it, and bled the brakes.. i got the brake light to go off since it has power breaks, but the pedal is still really soft and it seems the power brakes don't engage until it is half way to the floor. I adjusted the rear shoes still it didn't do a thing. My question, is mainly, is there a spacer in the power brake unit that might have fell into the bottom? I figure the piston of the master cylinder may not be engaging correctly. What are your thoughts people, I'm probably off with thinking of this, who knows.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:30 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> is there a spacer in the power brake unit that might have fell into the bottom

No.

Did you bench bleed the master cyl. before you put it on?

If you replaced the front pads, pushed the calipers back, then you have to start and drive the vehicle backwards and forwards while pushing the pedal hard before you get a normal pedal again. Make sure to top off the mstr cyl afterwards.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:13 PM
PoolBoy
Freshman User
Yes i bench bled the new master cylinder, adjusted the rear brakes bled the lines, and go a stiff pedal but when i started the truck. The brake light went off, and i got a spongy pedal, even while the brake light was on i had a better pedal, so i'm at a loss... I'm going to try to rebleed my brakes tonight, but i don't think this will solve this

Old 04-21-2004, 09:38 PM
corchambers
New User
Did you have good pedal before you replaced the master? In other words, did you replace it because it leaked externally? Did you get a "rebuilt" unit from autozone? The "new" master may be bypassing fluid internally.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:40 PM
PoolBoy
Freshman User
Talking

Actually i got it all fixed, there was a rubber bushing inside the power brake unit which fell to the bottom i shook the S$#t out of it until i could get it back into place, now my brakes are as good as golden, thank you guys for all you help. Everyone always has such good insight.