Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some Advice please

Old 10-05-2002, 03:45 PM
gm
New User
gm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need some Advice please

First time buyer looking a buying 7.3 need some basic
knowledge as to general maintenance on this motor i.e. oil changes
type of oil used weight and manufacturer, best filters to
use oil and air, also being this a farm vehicle can I
use off road fuel to save on cost? Whatever knowledge
you which to give a 1st time diesel buyer
First time buyer looking a buying 7.3 need some basic
knowledge as to general maintenance on this motor i.e. oil changes
type of oil used weight and manufacturer, best filters to
use oil and air, also being this a farm vechicle can I
use off road fuel to save on cost? Whatever knowledge
you wish to give a 1st time diesel buyer

Old 10-05-2002, 08:49 PM
cookie88
Post Fiend
cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.
Need some Advice please

Old 10-05-2002, 09:17 PM
cookie88
Post Fiend
cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.
Need some Advice please

>First time buyer looking a buying 7.3 need some basic
>knowledge as to general maintenance on this motor i.e. oil
>changes
>type of oil used weight and manufacturer, best filters to
>use oil and air, also being this a farm vehicle can I
>use off road fuel to save on cost? Whatever knowledge
>you which to give a 1st time diesel buyer

Oil changes depend alot on the driving conditions. Being this is a farm truck I'd change it every 3000 mi. (assuming you'll run conventional oil and won't be having it tested).
The owners manual calls for 15w-40 with a CH-4 rating (Shell Rotella-T, Chevron Delo 400, etc.) The oil filter on Superduties is a Motorcraft FL-1995.
The stock paper air filters seem to do just fine. I run a K&N in a modified airbox.
Change the fuel filter at least every 15000.
As far as I know it is illegal to run dyed fuel in any vehicle licenced for highway use.

Old 10-06-2002, 06:42 AM
gm
New User
gm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need some Advice please

Thanks for info how many quarts of oil does the 7.3
hold?

Old 10-06-2002, 06:57 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Need some Advice please

My '95 takes 14 qts to change oil. I don't know if that changed on the Superduties, but I don't think so. The cheapest place I've found to buy oil is Costco, where you can get a box of (6) 1 gal jugs for $32.99. You can get Purolator filters at Sears for $2.99. The cost of doing an oil change is about $23. Knowing it was done right, pricless.

Old 10-06-2002, 02:00 PM
Texas Red
New User
Texas Red is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need some Advice please

GM - My 99 PSD uses 16 quarts per oil change (with filter change). As for Oil, I recommend Rotella 15w-40. I've used it in my 6.5 Chevy (don't shoot, I have a Ford now) I ran it 185K and it was still going strong when I got my Ford. I change every 5K miles. As for Farm Diesel, never! Unless you have a huge farm and it will never see highway use. The difference in price is road tax. Which I am happy to pay for good roads to drive on.

Old 10-06-2002, 04:28 PM
cookie88
Post Fiend
Need some Advice please

The 99 up powerstroke holds 15qts. Same as the 94-98 but with a 1qt larger filter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.