Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hard start

Old 10-02-2002, 01:25 PM
mooner
Junior User
mooner is starting off with a positive reputation.
hard start

I have a 1990 E350 with a 7.3. The truck needs pluged in summer and winter if I hoipe for it to start. When I turn the key the glow plug light comes on fore about 10-15 sec then clicks for another 10-15 sec. After that I hold peddle to floor and turn key. Truck starts right up, however if I don't hold peddle down for 5-10 sec it will die and not restart. After this 10 sec it runs great. On start up a huge white (fuel) cloud floats by me for awhile but after start time it dosn't smoke at all. I have just purchased new glow plugs and relay to put in this weekend. The last owner said he had just changed them and injectors prior to my buying the truck (about 40K ago). Could it be something else? Perhaps lift pump or something?
Thanks, this is an awsome informative site.

Old 10-08-2002, 07:31 PM
bilder12
Posting Guru
bilder12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
hard start

I have a 88 f-250 diesel. I used to have a lot of trouble starting, summer and winter. I made checks in the glow plug area and found 1 to be bad. After changing that 1, I couldnt believe the difference. Started right up. also, if it is really cold, try to cycle the plugs a couple times before starting. (turn the key on for half minute, turn off for half minute turn and wait for plugs to cycle fully)
You can check the lift pump by loosening the fuel line at the filter out conncection. Crank the engine and see if the fuel squirts across the engine compartment. (Watch out for the bath).

Old 10-09-2002, 08:48 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
johnsdiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
hard start

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.