Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont know where to ask this?

Old 10-24-2002, 11:09 PM
medicman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know where i can get the stuff to reprogram a detroit diesel? it is my semi and not a company truck.
thanks

Old 10-24-2002, 11:40 PM
BigDeezil58
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a serious question with serious consequences. What do you want to reprogram? If you want fuel numbers, then forget it. That's an E.P.A. issue. Nobody here is going to tell you how to break the law.

If you want customer parameters, then just go to your local Detroit Diesel dealer. It's not much money (I own Caterpillars, and it's only 40 bucks) just to have them flash the ECM, and have access to all your driver options. Detroit will change your fuel settings too, but you'll need to pay for it. Every time a parameter is changed, the ECM stores a "fingerprint" of the service equipment that logged into it. Dealer, technician, etc. If you have a failure, and Detroit checks the ECM, they are going to check every time it was logged in, and if they find a service tool that has logged in with no credentials to back it up, you are in trouble.

So, you might find some backwoods good buddy at a truck stop somewhere that says he can make your engine run....but is it worth it?