Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ABS LIGHT STAY LIT

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 09:46 PM
slimmer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ABS LIGHT STAY LIT

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THE ABS LIGHT STAYS LIT I CHECKED THE FRONT BRAKES PADS THEY WHERE FINE THE BACK WERE A LITTLE THIN SO I REPLACED THEM AND AFTER THAT I DON'T THINK THE FRONT PADS ARE ENGAGING. THE BACK WILL LOCK UP WHEN YOU APPLY THE BRAKES HARD. IF I NEED TO RETREIVE A CODE HOW TO RETREIVE IT. ANY SUGGESTION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU

Old 10-18-2002, 10:32 PM
craterjoe
Senior User
ABS LIGHT STAY LIT

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Oct-02 AT 11:32 PM (EST)]the abs light comes on when the system detects a fault with the antilock brake hardware if this comes on the wheels will lock up when enough braking pressure is applied. it seems that it is usually a sensor somewhere that is having a bad hair day...

the abs system augments the brake system but is really independant of it. so if it has a problem and shuts down (the abs system) you will have "classic" braking activity.

Me personally, I feel that while abs is a good idea for the masses, it really is a crutch for those folks on the roads who do not have adequate driving skills. But since they are out there I am glad it is available to them. The abs quit in my 1990 f-250 for some reason and I put a piece of black tape over the light and have no intention of fixing it until I sell the truck. when I step on the pedal hard enough I want the tires to lock up. I am also comfortable enough with my truck to take braking up to just shy of lockup. as for panic stops defensive driving will negate that as much as humanly possible.

Unfortunatly (fortunatly?) this attitude doesnt work for everyone and is just my personal preference.

Craterjoe

Old 10-19-2002, 06:16 PM
c_nate
Freshman User
ABS LIGHT STAY LIT

did you open the brake bleeders. did you bleed your brake lines? had air in mine, and it made the ABS light stay on till the air was removed.

Nate

94 F250 IDI diesel, ATS Turbo and ex pipes, 4x4

Old 10-19-2002, 11:57 PM
Rand
Elder User
ABS LIGHT STAY LIT

I dont know about the abs but could you uncheck the caps lock plz.
caps lock is considered "shouting" and is somewhat rude.. thanks.

Rand

Old 10-25-2002, 03:31 PM
wideopen
Junior User
ABS LIGHT STAY LIT

On top of your rearend housing is the speed sensor it cost about $18.00 at the dealer that is the common cause of the abs light . Is your speedometer doing freaky things also???

Old 10-25-2002, 03:46 PM
wideopen
Junior User
ABS LIGHT STAY LIT