Was my truck running hotter than "normal" ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 11:56 AM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I suppose that's possible, but it gets warm when you would expect it to, and cool when you expect it to. I have a new radiator that will arrive today, and I will install this evening. If that fixes the problem, then maybe my old one was just beyond help as far as cleaning goes, or maybe some of the tubes collapsed. At any rate, after two home cleaning's and one pro job, it does run some cooler, just not cool enough.This leads me to believe that a new one will help a lot.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:02 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Hallelujah!! Angel's sing, manna falls from heaven, it's fixed!!! The new radiator did the trick. My old one must be a total loss. I will try to have it "rotted out" and keep it for an emergency.It was about 88-89deg today.I drove my truck about 85mph then got in some traffic,then 85 back home. It never got over 95deg c. I'm just so happy, I was really beginning to worry about my engine. All is right with the world, so I went on a bike ride to celebrate. Brian, you missed a good ride today. Thanks for all the help and input.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:24 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thomas,
I am VERY happy for you! Sometimes is the simple stuff that confounds us. Glad you got it fixed.
I was at the ball park all day today. My son's team played awful. I'd have rather been on my motorcycle.
Heading to Tail of the Dragon the first Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun in June. Call or e-mail me if you are interested in going with us.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:30 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Glad you got it fixed

Old 05-12-2004, 05:20 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Eureka!!!!

Thank you travlnman!!!! I decided to try a new radiator. Actually my dad has a 97 4WD 6 cyl 5 speed and we just yanked out his radiator and put it in this truck. It cured it!!!! We then just went and bought him a new one for his truck.

It still just boggles my mind how this thing was acting. Very erratic temperature spikes, and seemed to come and go when it wanted, not necessarily if you drove it harder or had the AC on or whatever, like a partially plugged radiator usually does. I'm beginning to wonder if boiling out these new radiators is a waste of time and money. That makes two of us now who did that and had no change in the problem.

Anyway, thanks again, everyone. If it weren't for these boards, I might never have tried the radiator. Once I had it cleaned, I just assumed that it wasn't the problem. Live and learn.

Old 05-16-2004, 08:24 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
That's awesome!!!! I'm really glad you got it fixed. I am beginning to believe that if this happens again, I'm gonna spend more, and go with more traditional materials in my radiator. Aluminum doesn't " rust" , but it does oxidize. I don't believe this to be a product of elecrtolysis, because my water pump looked like new when I changed it. I have had other radiator's made out of what I assume to be copper or brass, that had tons of miles and abuse, and just kept working. I hop what we have been through will help others in the forum. I have even thought about posting on the forum for cooling and heating just to let everyone know.

Take care of that truck, you have al lot invested now. I know I will.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:07 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
The wierd thing is, when I took the radiator to the radiator man, he supposedly took it apart and cleaned it out thouroughly. He even told me when he was done that he didn't think that it was the problem. He said it looked clean as a whistle. I just don't know what to think about these new radiators.

Old 05-18-2004, 05:25 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently had the same problem with my I6. First I flushed with the prestone flush, then I flushed the rad with water until the water looked clean enough to drink, then flushed for another 1/2 hour. No problems since. The temp has yet to rise to where my normal operating temp was previous to the flush. Hope this helps you guys out.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:17 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
just curious do your fords have the cooling fan that locks up at a certain temp to cool down the engine if you do those go bad and that would give you bad cooling at high speeds

Old 05-19-2004, 03:52 AM
Drizzt
Senior User
are you talking clutch fans and yes, we do use clutch fans... and if they lock up, they provide better cooling at higher RPM because they aren't just free wheeling like they are supposed to

Old 05-20-2004, 04:48 PM
altonjh1
Freshman User
So what did the problem turn out to be? I have a similiar problem with mine.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:23 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
All 3 were radiator problems.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:33 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Yes. Radiator problems. At least two of the radiators, including the one I was working on, got cleaned out by radiator shops. That didn't help at all apparently. Something about these new radiators, they just don't respond to boiling them out. A new radiator is around $200. If you've tried the obvious things, thermostat, clutch fan, maybe even water pump, then the next step is a NEW radiator.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Vanhalem
New User
Originally Posted by travlnman
That's exactly where mine is. I only have one also. Haynes says that only "some" models have 2 sensors,I only have one in the back of the driver's side head.

Well the 3rd flush did nothing to help. I purchased a manual gauge today, and we will see if it is truly getting hot, or just reading hot. If it is getting hot , I plan to buy a new radiator , if that does not fix it, then I have to believe that something is going south in the engine. If you will read my thread "sleepy throttle" in this forum, you will see something else that I have been guessing at. If a head gasket is soon to fail, or is bypassing pressure at high speed/load conditions, these may be related. The throttle response problem is erratic. That is it comes and goes. I can cut it off, then restart, and maybe it will go away, maybe not.

I suppose and erratic cam position sensor or crank sensor could be fouling up the timing occasionally. I would think that would give a code, but at this point I'm not taking anything for granted.

I appreciate all the input, and all the support. I will post again probably about wednesday (5th) when I get back from Tennessee. Hopefully I will have my manual gauge and maybe even a new radiator installed by then, and a solution to our problem's.
I have a chilton manual that only shows one location for the temp sensor on the 4.2. Using the little info I found on this site, I think I have located the sensor on the drivers side of the engine block. Not far from the oxygen sensor. Only problem is that I broke the sensor as I tried removing it. No leaks that I can feel, however I was wondering if it would be possible to relocate the sensor closer to the thermostat, where there is a plug that appears to be the right size. Any advicwe would be beneficial in this asap as I need the truck to get to work this week!! I hope somone on this forum can help me. I was thinking of cutting off the connector and splicing in enough wire to do the relocation and this would be sufficient. Thanks for any help offered!!