1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Driveability problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:56 AM
wincher47
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveability problem

I have a 83 Ford F-150 pickup, that I installed a 460 port injected engine
and transmission out of a E-250 Van. It has the original computer and wiring harness as was in the van. The problem, I think, and I own a Garage and make a living doing mechanic work, is the computer on a van has a short harness from under the hood to inside vehicle. On a pickup it is not nearly long enought. This 83 Pickup runs good sitting still, but seems to start breaking down the further you drive it, I know the computer is getting overheated and was wondering if anyone has ever extended the harness by way of soldering each connection. There are approximately 36 wires that would have to be soldered on a 60 pin EEV-IV type computer system. I feel like there may be an electrical breakdown somewhere in the system from the heat, but haven't been able to isolate it yet. I am lucky that I have other vehicles to drive, but I won't give up on trying to figure the problem out. I have checked quite a few things and feel the computer is just overheating.
Maybe some computer techs can shed some light on this, I don't know of a lot of people knowledgeable on computers. Thanks.