The best trailer brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:48 AM
99pwrstoke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The best trailer brake controller

Ok i have a 99 psd 7.3 i will be towing a 30' fifth wheel and sometime a 30' travel trailer. what would be the besst brake controller to buy? i have a factory harness installed already but a four plug. Need some help in deciding.
thanks,
lee

Old 04-15-2004, 01:47 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I find that most people rave about two different units. I have a Prodigy by Tekonsha and love it. Others prefer the Jordan controller. Try this site for more info; http://trailerlife.com/ and do a search.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:34 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
The Prodigy and the Jordon take different aproaches to accomplish the task. Prodigy is a digital unit that uses an accelerometer to detect decceleration rate . Jordon is a direct proportion control that is activated by a cable connected to the brake pedal.

I got the Prodigy because it was recommended by a lot of guys here on the forum. I can recommend it as well. It was easy to install and quick to set up. Since then I've used it for over two years without having to adjust it or worry about it. A lot of guys refer to the Prodigy as 'plug 'n play' and I'd have to agree.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:02 AM
matt69oh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prodigy! Previously I had another electronic brake controller because I didn't think spending over $100 on a simple brake controller was justified. But, I broke down when I bought a new camper last year and bought a Prodigy. I read nothing but rave reviews about them. Well, it paid for itself the first time I applied the brakes. Smooooth stops.

As a side note, I bought the Prodigy (and camper) at RV Wholesalers. The controller is currently $98.99 online and its the cheapest place I found it.