Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a diesel van, help me please

Old 10-03-2002, 10:08 AM
andrewzx92000
Senior User
andrewzx92000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I am looking at a 2001 July E350 diesel van extended. The dealer says it sat around fords offices for a year and only has 500 miles on it. its an XLT 15 passenger.
I was wondering if exhaust, injector cackle is a problem for this van
Is there any information I should know from you guys before I buy this model as far as inherant problems or quirks.
Will sitting around hurt a diesel?
Thanks for your input

Andrew.

Old 11-13-2002, 11:47 AM
rplett
Freshman User
rplett is starting off with a positive reputation.

I believe that the 2001 vans have the older PSD version rated at 225 hp rather than the 250hp pickup motor so the power will be slightly less than a similer pickup. There is a lot of info on 'cackle' on other threads so I won't go into it. Before you drive off, make sure the FW-16 in the coolant is at the proper concentration.

Old 11-14-2002, 07:54 PM
onetontruck
Junior User
onetontruck is starting off with a positive reputation.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Nov-02 AT 09:05 PM (EST)]i am driveing a 2001 E-350 at 9300 lbs. only rated at 9400 lbs. with the diesel it is a service van driven hard everyday my shop is only 1 mile away and my jobs are everywhere have pulled 12,000 bobcats over 500 miles at a time i have 50,000 miles and have done nothing but normal service NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM with it ever......and the engine is not old it does not have the intercooler because there is no room in there for it................if the price is right get it you will like it the engine is louded because it is next to you but that,s ok with me i like it.........see if it has the 3.55 gears or the 4.10 gears i have the 3.55 slow on take off but good on highway
this is the only gears that the van could get with the diesel i know i ordered mine....wish i had got the 4.10 gear but i like speed.......
i only get 12 mpg but i floor it 100% of the time and i am at max weight did get 18 mpg on out of town trip loaded and with a trailer. drive it....if it drives and sounds ok don't worry...it is under 100,000 mile engine warrenty.have them do a 15,000 mile service for free before you buy because it has set there and then you do normal service from then on. by the mileage and book -should be ok after that

Old 11-14-2002, 09:09 PM
Highway Prisoner
Junior User
Highway Prisoner is starting off with a positive reputation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.