Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSD Engine Cool Down?

Old 11-13-2002, 11:37 PM
Starratt04
Senior User
PSD Engine Cool Down?

Hey i got a PSD.Ive heard that if you run your engine for a long time or tow a big load that when you are done you need to let it run at idle to cool down.If you tow a big load and dont let it cool down what will happed? When should you le it cool down after driving 50 miles? 100 miles? 200 miles? and also how long should you let it run at idle to let it cool down? If i dont let it cool down will it cut my engine life short?

99 Super Duty S/C PSD 4x4 Larait
99 Mustang Cobra 4.56 gears,power pullies,short shifter,timeing adjuster,no cat's Flowmaster exhaust

Old 11-14-2002, 04:24 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
PSD Engine Cool Down?

What you need to avoid is shutting off your truck when the exhaust gas temperature, (EGT) is too high. What could happen is that the oil that is lubricating your turbo can cook if it's too hot when shut down, and the oil quits circulating. If you have a pyrometer, you can measure your EGT's very easily. On my truck, with a pretty hot chip installed, I can run hard on the freeway for three hours, but once I take the exit and coast to a stop at the top of the ramp, my EGT's are down to a safe level. It depends a lot on how well your exhaust system will pull the heat away from the engine. There's more than one answer to what's a safe temp to shut down at, but I use 350.
I hope this helps.

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine, 4R100 pan.
And a wish list that gets longer every day.
(Thank God for a wife that likes big trucks.)

Old 11-15-2002, 04:44 PM
bilder12
Posting Guru
PSD Engine Cool Down?

You want to idle your engine after it has been "working" so the oil feeding the turbo bearings dont "coke" or cook around the bearing and close up the oil feed which stops lubricating the bearing which in turn takes out the bearing which in turn takes the money out of your pocket for repairs.
Common sense will prevail in the care of the engine. Think of it this way, after a horse race, they walk the animal to cool him down, if the horse is just out for a walk they can put him right back in the barn. Much the same way with your truck.
While you are planning on which spot you are going to park your truck in, let it run slower till you get there. This will allow things to cool down and stabilize inside the engine and you can turn it off when you get to the parking spot. "tada"

Old 11-16-2002, 05:54 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
PSD Engine Cool Down?

Well said, Bilder12! After ripping around in my truck, and getting the EGT's up, I find that by the time I idle into the cul-de-sac, and get the truck backed into the driveway, my EGT's are down below 350. Before I got the pyro, I was worried that I was shutting down too early, so I'd let it idle for a few minutes to be safe. It turns out that it was unnecessary.

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo Delta chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine tranny filter, 4R100 pan.
And a wish list that gets longer every day.
(Thank God for a wife that likes big trucks.)