6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Exhaust choices for 6.0 PSD Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:07 PM
20046.0PSDX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust choices for 6.0 PSD Excursion

This is my "virgin" post so please go easy on me! I've been heavily researching an exhaust system for my 2004 6.0 X. I really wanted a BD Power exhaust but was informed last week that they currently don't have any plans for the '04.I would like a turbo-back to get rid of that rinkled downpipe. One of their techs highly recommended a full stainless system from Billy Boat Performance Exhaust (see www.bbexhaust.com) which seems really impressive w/ 22HP gain at rear wheels and 37 ft/lbs and great EGT reduction. I think its 4 or 4.5" entirely w/ a nice oval tip. This is the first I've heard of them but he's a retired IRL racer and they started out making Porsche racing exhaust. Talked to their tech rep and he said it had a nice deep rumble but no resonance and not too loud.
The 2nd system is the Banks Monster which Banks says will be ready to ship in 3 to 4 weeks. Ofcourse BD Power didn't mention Banks but I would assume that's because they are "enemies" or direct competition. Banks rep speaks for itself and a good friend of mine could not be happier w/ his Banks Power Pak (or something like that, its the complete perf group; chip, exhaust, intercooler, etc) on his 2002 7.3 PSD. Says sound is great but not intrusive. Not sure of the HP gain claimed.
The 3rd system is the BullyDog that starts out w/ a 3.5" downpipe and 4" for the rest. It comes highly recommended by 4WheelParts.com and is said to also be non-intrusive in the cab. Best I can recall they claim 14Hp gain or something in that range and 75 degree EGT reduction..
My biggest concerns are reduction in EGT's and ofcourse the sound. With a truck most of the muffler and pipe are outside/behind the cab but w/ the X the pipe is under the cab and I don't want anything too loud.
Sorry about the novel I've written but there was no short way to convey my thoughts. If anyone has any experience w/ any of these systems please let me know. All are complete stainless and are in the $760 to $900 range so price is not that great of a decision. They're all going to stress the pocket! Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:58 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
WELCOME to the best family Ford sit there is.

You will have replies to your questions.............enjoy!!!

Old 04-13-2004, 01:42 AM
europrojektzbmw
New User
Where are the replies? I'm looking for an exhaust too.

Old 04-13-2004, 03:58 AM
Senior User
I like the hog performance 4" stainless turbo back. Three choices of muffler, stainless hardware and for my 04 f350 cc LB the kit cost me $550 delivered to my door. they have kits for the X. you can check them out at hogperformanceDOTcom. oh and welcome!

Old 04-13-2004, 07:21 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by europrojektzbmw
Do a search on exhasut ..........and then mufflers..........then cat back system
you will have lots to read.
Do it all in this fourm the 6.0L Fourm

Old 04-13-2004, 07:23 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by europrojektzbmw

OOPS forgot to WELCOME you to the best Family Ford site there is.

Search…read…enjoy…

Old 04-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
BE CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING NEW EXHAUSTS... FOUND THIS INFO ON ANOTHER SITE:

The most significant change to the PowerStroke in terms of performance is the variable geometry turbocharger (VGT). A valve on the turbo directs oil flow to vanes inside the turbine housing. The vanes adjust the width of the passages through which the exhaust gases pass into the turbine housing. By changing the passage widths the velocity of the gases increase or decrease. The smaller the passage, the higher the velocity and backpressure. On cold engine start-up the computer closes the vanes to increase backpressure and help the engine warm up, like the EBP valve was used on the 7.3 PowerStroke. At low engine speeds the vanes are narrow to allow for better acceleration and less lag. As engine speed increases under acceleration the vanes are opened to reduce backpressure while maintaining sufficient boost--up to 25 PSI--to meet the load demand on the engine. This is similar to the function of a wategate. The computer monitors the volume of air entering the turbo through a mass air flow sensor, boost pressure in the manifold with a manifold absolute pressure sensor, as well as intake air and manifold air temperatures and exhaust backpressure to determine how to adjust the turbine vanes.

Another addition to the PowerStroke is the cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve. The EGR valve introduces exhaust gases into the intake manifold at cruising speeds to lower the combustion temperatures, which reduces oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emisions. Exhaust gases pass through a cooler to reduce their temperature before reaching the EGR valve. The only way the exhaust gases can flow into the intake is if the exhaust backpressure is higher than intake manifold pressure, so the computer adjusts the VGT to provide the necessary backpressure when EGR flow is needed.

Old 04-13-2004, 10:39 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Interesting one thing it does define is the need for backpressure.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:01 AM
FredsF250TD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Interesting one thing it does define is the need for back pressure.
Well, yes, but once again, the way I read Beachbumcooks post, and I wish Fordtech1 would chime in on this, The way I read it, they are talking about back pressure in the exhaust manifold, in front of the turbine blades. Not post turbine blades in the down pipe. This is what I'm getting out of it. The EGR does not operate all the time. Only in low power settings and during steady state operation such as cruising down the highway. The vanes restrict the flow of exhaust through the turbine in order to increase the pressure in the exhaust manifold so as to overcome the pressure in the intake manifold. Now, I suppose if the down pipe was restrictive enough than the variable vanes would not have to close off as much in order to increase the pressure in the exhaust manifold. But under the conditions which the EGR operates, low and steady state power settings, I doubt that the already rather large stock 3 inch down pipe offers much in the way of back pressure aid to the vanes anyway. During high power settings, the EGR does not operate. It does not try to inject exhaust into the intake manifold, so the vanes open. It's at these higher power settings where the larger downpipes earn there living, by allowing more exhaust to escape and reducing the pressure across the turbine blades. It's this reduction in pressure that reduces the EGT's, and reduces the stress on the turbine. I still do not see there being a negative to reducing the back pressure on the back side of the turbine blades.
Well, that's my read on this issue. I believe I'm understanding this correctly, but please, if someone that TRULY knows, knows I'm mistaken please tell me.

Last edited by FredsF250TD; 04-14-2004 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:25 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Agreed, I should have been a bit more specific………on backpressure.
I was not commenting on pre or post…just, it needs it.
This is a different turbo motor!

Old 04-14-2004, 07:35 AM
$trokin60
Senior User
I have installed both banks and hog exaust. the hog is far superior it is polished to a mirror like shine. Not to mention the price is much cheaper.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:14 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had tried straight piping my Ex by just pulling the muffler... but it was too loud a drone on the long trips... so ...
since we're in "da sowth" and don't have an issue with salt...
I went with an aluminized 3.5" dp to 4" turbo back from Quadzilla here in Ft worth, Tx.
I got it for $325 and love it.- immediately lked the extra butt-o-meter responsiveness from the turbo back addition..
of course this was after my predator purchase so the increase I felt was from insane to more insane !

Old 04-14-2004, 12:58 PM
20046.0PSDX
Senior User
Thanks for the info and please keep it coming! Just a note for $trokin. As far as the finish on the HOG vs. the Banks, it seems Banks kind of defends this by their use of 400 Series Stainless Steel, 409 or 405 I think. It has a different carbon content which causes the color difference. They say the 400 series stands up to 2000 degree temps while the 300 series begins to break down above 1500. I don't see this as a real issue because it seems I've read here that EGT's (on the inlet side) should not get that hot or you're in real trouble and the outlet side is usually a couple hundred degrees cooler! Anyway, just to let you know that's why Banks aren't as nice a finished product.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:33 PM
20046.0PSDX
Senior User
I ordered the Billy Boat Performance Exhaust today and expect it in about a week if they have it in stock. If they have to make it to order that may add a few days. I'll give some details asap after its installed. I'm running the Predator and MAC intake (from Motorhaven) now and can't wait for the pipe and the BD X-Monitor to be installed. Then I'm gonna' bump up to the 100HP tune on the Predator (65HP for now and as others will vouch, it's pretty insane already) and hannnggg ooonnnn!!!

Old 04-15-2004, 10:35 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Did you get a chance to check this out

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=230033

Quick Reply: Exhaust choices for 6.0 PSD Excursion