Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Firestones

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 05:47 PM
new2dsl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestones

I just bought a y2k F-250 psd 4x4 , cc sb. This truck seems to have a mind of it's own as far as steering goes. The dealer has checked this truck from top to bottom and can't find anything loose or out of adjustment. The next place I have to look is the tires. I know that I'm opening a can of worms ,but can tires cause this kind of problem? Help!!!

Old 04-12-2004, 06:12 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read that kind of thing on posts here from brand new tires - are they new?? I've not had it but some have had wierd handling for the first couple thousand miles on new tires. Check the tire pressure too - over/under inflation can 'cause goofy handling.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:58 PM
new2dsl
New User
These tires are not new but have been freshly rotated front to rear. Pressure is 60 psi. front and 70 rear. I did notice the rears have the edges rounded off...possibly from extended use on the front. Front tires appear to be nearly knife edged from being on the rear too long. These tires are about 85% tread. Thanks for the help, any other thoughts?

Old 04-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Bluesbandit
Senior User
I've done some time working in a Firestone shop, and despite the media blitz they make pretty good tires. If you have edge wear on your tires it's generally due to under-inflation, if it is even on both edges. If it's limited to just inside, or outside wear, you most likely have front end issuses. Manufacture spec's for tire pressure and alignments aren't always the best, in my experience, as certian vehicles have a tendency to wander, or wear, due to design. You might want to find yourself a respected independent shop and get their opinon. Have them keep the car on the lift, and show you the specs, and the parts. If they are not willing to do that, walk away.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:06 AM
meile
New User
Red face Tires

I just bought a 1999 PSD f250sd. Had the same problems felt like the front ene was reall loose. I changed the tires and it works like new. I put on Firestone steeltex 10 ply. I found out there were some busted cords in the tires that came on it.
I would almost bet new tires would make a difference. When they change them dont forget to have them balance and check the allignment.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:54 AM
BagStroke
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bluesbandit
I've done some time working in a Firestone shop, and despite the media blitz they make pretty good tires. If you have edge wear on your tires it's generally due to under-inflation, if it is even on both edges. If it's limited to just inside, or outside wear, you most likely have front end issuses. Manufacture spec's for tire pressure and alignments aren't always the best, in my experience, as certian vehicles have a tendency to wander, or wear, due to design. You might want to find yourself a respected independent shop and get their opinon. Have them keep the car on the lift, and show you the specs, and the parts. If they are not willing to do that, walk away.

I agree....