Sponsored by: DP Tuner

first winter with diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 10:16 AM
goalie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first winter with diesel

This is my first winter and I have a few questions.I noticed the engine seems louder,not at warm up but all the time, is this normal?I recently went away and my truck sat for 4 days in the really cold weather and it started rough after I cycled the glow plugs a few times then after a few seconds of rough idle it kicked up where it is supposed to be.My question is should I change to 10w30 for the winter or just keep using the 15w40?I did not plug it in when i got back(didnt have time) but if I plugged it in for lets say an hour would it make a noticable difference in starting or does it have to be plugged in for a few hours?ONe more,I noticed the egt drop faster in the cold weather,is this the norm with everyone else, it seemed like I didnt need to idle it for as long as I normally do after the same type of drive.

Old 12-05-2002, 12:36 PM
FDNY13
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first winter with diesel

Plug it in! I set a timer to start the block heater 2-3 hours prior to driving...quicker/smoother starts, considerably less smoke, faster cab heat. Mine sounds louder when cold but quiets down when warmed up.

I use ROTELLA SB 10W-30 in winter months only. (upstate NY) 15W-40 otherwise. Check your owner's manual for preferred viscosity at various temps.

I WOULD think your EGT would drop faster in colder months!

Hope this helps...

Old 12-05-2002, 05:47 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post first winter with diesel