Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
PSD - 20 degrees won't start.

Old 12-07-2002, 06:16 AM
edstoner
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Dec-02 AT 07:26 AM (EST)]Everything between the hash marks is from last post //I've got a 99 PSD with only 56k miles on it. It's always started like a dream. In warm weather sometimes I wouldn't even wait until the light went out and it would fire up in seconds. Just within the last couple of months it seems like it doesn't want to start. This morning it cranked for about 10 seconds or more and I was just about to let go of the ignition key because it sounded like the batteries didn't have anything left to give. Just at that point it fired up. I've never had this problem before. It was only 30 degrees but I've had this truck in severe northern weather when it was new (20 below wind chill) and it always started right up. I wouldn't think glow plug could go so suddenly. And besides it isn't even that cold out. Anyone with any idea as to why this is happening I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. I probably should add that I tried additive in the fuel tank but it didn't seem to make much difference.//

Everything above is from my previous post! Well it finally happened. It's about 20 degrees out this morning. Went out to the truck, tried to crank it 3 times (about 10 seconds each time) and it ain't starting. I got to the point where the juice gets so low that the whole electrical system starts to rattle. I thought it might start on the first crank but it was just a hiccup! After the last post I checked the batteries with one of those 97 cent testers and supposedly all the cells are good. Don't know how accurate the tester is though. I cleaned the posts on the batteries. In answer to some of you guys feedback here's the answers: 1) I don't see any tach reading at all when I'm cranking it(I observed this over the last week) 2) I don't notice any kind of smoke coming out while cranking 3) It takes about 10 seconds for the "wait to start" light to go out when first starting. Sorry about such a long post and I do appreciate the feedback. How hard is it to replace the glow plug relay and or glow plugs? I'm very mechanically inclined but it looks like a whole lot of stuff hanging over those valve covers. Where is the glow plug relay? Could it still just be a matter of weak batteries? I need to get it fixed I just don't want to replace the whole electrical system doing it. Should I just give up and take it to the dealer? Thanks for all the help!

Old 12-07-2002, 07:27 AM
edstoner
Junior User

I also wanted to add that this truck has an electric over hydraulic plow on it so the batteries have been well used over the past four years. And I did start to notice over the past 6 months or so that it just didn't seem to crank as fast. The reason I am saying this is because I don't know if because the cranking speed is so low that's why I don't get a tach reading. Over the last week once when I was starting I did think I saw the tach jump up while cranking. that was only once though and it only jumped up to about 150-200rpm. The truck runs fine after it starts. Another thing is that over the life of the truck I've always had a problem with the passenger side battery post connector loosing up. Could a loose post have fried the battery but it shows OK with the hydrometer? Thanks.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:19 AM
Sam Wactor
Junior User

It sounds like the batteries are bad according to your post. I'd check the batteries with a load tester to see how a heavy amp draw will affect them. You will have to fully charge them for this test. Another idea is to borrow a battery charger with a boost start built in and charge the batteries fully. Turn the charger to boost and see if it will crank. If it cranks, get new batteries.

Your starter my be going on the fritz too but if the batteries check out, I'd check the glow plugs next. Joe wrote a good post on checking glow plugs the other day so I'm sending you a link to that post.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID101/2235.html

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Old 12-10-2002, 06:13 AM
edstoner
Junior User

You guys hit the nail on the head! With some newly installed 875 cold cranking amp batteries, when I hit the ignition key the starter cranks that PSD over and starts gaining speed instantly. It starts within seconds. Thanks for everyones feedback.