Sponsored by: Moser

cam someone help me with the mutt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Freighttrain
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cam someone help me with the mutt?

Ok,Here is the skinny I know so far.I have a 1984 F150 but the engine is of unknown CID but is out of a 1979 Galaxie so the Casting numbers state(D9AE-8016P last 5 not sure on).But the thing died on me the other night and wouldn't restart.We pulled the cap and it wasn't moving so I though timing chain.I pulled the VCs and all the valves worked perfectly.Next we yanked the distributor and there it was.3 teeth sheer off the gear and I think I can feel some damaged on the gear it runs off of.My question is does the gear on the cam bolt/press on to or was it milled onto the cam itself?I only paid $475 for this clunker so I don't want to spend a fortune on it to get it running again.I also realize the truck doesn't fit in here but I figured since the engine is of the year maybe someone can help me.The thing I like about the truck is No electronics.Points,carb,manual tranny(Mech. Clutch),totally backdated.

Old 04-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like a 351M.
The distributors from ther 351M/400/460 all interchange.
I would head for the wreckers to get another one.
Make sure the shaft bushing isn't worn out on the replacement

Old 04-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Freighttrain
Senior User
how about the gear that it runs off down inside the engine.Is it milled to the cam or is it a separate piece that can be replaced?There is some damage down there too.I can feal a tooth that is missing a little chunk and not real sure about the rest of the teeth.I have found out that a lot of bolts are rusted stuck since I broke a water pump bolt(the long one on passenger that goes though the pump and timing chain cover) and broke one of the water neck bolts so far.Seriously thinking of scrapping this one but not before I strip it of all reusable parts.Truck ain't really worth spending more than 100 bucks to repair.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:28 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
The cam gear doesn't come off. New dizzy gears are available from Ford maybe NAPA. Something had to drag to do that. Either the distributer itself worn badly or the oil pump seizing. Maybe just try a junk yard dizzy.

Old 04-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Freighttrain
Senior User
nah,I think a chunk of iron got caught between the gears or one of the gears already was damaged and finally let go.I found some metal on top of the heads when I removed the valve covers that didn't come from either of the gears(real thin and curved).OH well,Looks like this one is headed for the scrap yard.Live,make stupid mistakes and try not to do it again!Gonna fix the 94 and say to heck with it!Might try to get a gasser later when I have more money for a reliable vehicle.I knew this was only a temporary vehicle just didn't know it was a 25 mile temporary vehicle.Thanks guys.