Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 09:59 AM
mooner
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors

Hi, I got the electrical problem fixed now to work on some of the other things. The truck is a 1990 E350 with a 7.3, it smokes quite bad on start up and sometimes is hard to start. I have to leave it plugged in (block heater) if I want any hope in starting. If I don't start it for three or four days it is realy hard and takes several tries. All the time when it starts it fires right up and runs for a couple seconds then dies. I researched this site and see where air leaks will cause these symptoms, I was watching the engine after starting yestterday and after awhile a couple of the injectors developed leaks. My question is, is it possible to remove and clean the injectors and also is there any O-rings or seals that can be obtailed and changed. Thanks for the info, great site lots of help.

Old 12-28-2002, 07:14 PM
Gutlassf250
Junior User
Injectors

Old 12-28-2002, 08:04 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru
Injectors

How long has the fuel been in the tank? Your problems might just be needing fresh winter fuel, I assume it's getting chilly up there.

read this thread and see if it might apply

https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID101/2369.html

Old 12-28-2002, 10:34 PM
mooner
Junior User
Injectors

The fuel is fresh as I fuel up at least once a week. This has been an ongoing start problem for the past eight or so months. I put new glow plugs in in Sept. and it helped a bit but still smokes and dies on start.

Old 12-29-2002, 06:28 PM
bilder12
Posting Guru
Injectors

You stated that the injectors are leaking... Is the leak at the top of the injector where the plastic cap is pushed on to the injector?
There are 2 "O" rings beneath the cap and can be replaced. that is probably causing your problem with hard starting too.
You can go to a injection shop and ask for a fuel pump installation kit for your particular engine and year or maybe someone in the forum can sell you one. the caps will come off kind of hard and they will snap back on. use some kind of o ring lube to help the installation.
also with the hard starting, be sure the glow plug relay is working properly, you should see the wait to start light then hear some clicking as soon as the light goes out.
i had a problem with my 7.3 glow plug relay ... the power wire on the relay was getting corroded beneath the connector and would not let it operate properly ... i took the nut off the relay - removed the wire and cleaned it, reinstalled the wire --- away we went.
good luck and happy new year