Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 09:13 PM
thunderbritches
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing fuel filter on 99 PS

Any tricks I should know before hand about changing the fuel filter on
my rig? I have not done much PM on diesel engines. I do know that in
early models it was very easy to get air in the line and not be able to purge. I'd like to avoid this if possible. What is the routine to follow? Thanks

Old 01-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Ghostrider304
Senior User

I just did this on my truck about a week ago for the first time. Very simple to do took about 15 min.

Get yourself a lenght of hose to attach to the drain tube on the passenger side of the engine block. This is where the water separator/fuel filter housing drain to. You may also want a plastic milk jug, this way you can see if there is any water in the fuel that comes out.(I ended up with about 2 tablespoons (appox.) of water that came out.

Pull of the plastic cover on the top of the engine and you will see the filter housing. On the back left side there is a switch that opens the drain. I emptied mine just to make this operation a little easier.

After you've drained any junk out of it open the top and replace the filter as shown on the box that the new filter is in. Make sure that both gaskets come out with the old filter.

Thats about it just put it back together and fire it up no purging nessasary.

Hope this helps,
Will-

Old 01-03-2003, 11:18 PM
thunderbritches
New User

Thanks for your tip about the hose. Found a length of plastic tubing
and it worked like a charm. I realize the job was no major undertaking but sure helps sometimes to hear someone elses great ideas
or short cuts, thanks again.

Old 01-05-2003, 08:57 AM
csandstedt
New User

I have a 2000 PSD in an X and I've been changing the fuel filter every other other oil change but I've always just let the fuel spill onto the floor (very messy). I've searched for the drain location of the fuel but for the life of me I cannot find it. The previous message makes it sound like its in a pretty obvious place, so either I'm looking right over it or possible it's in a different location on an X (which I doubt). Can someone provide specific directions on where this drain is located so that I can start hooking up a hose and spare my floor?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2003, 09:22 AM
csandstedt
New User

After I posted the previous message I did a web search and found a site with pictures at http://www.geocities.com/ps4dave/psd2.html. I have always looked for the drain from the top of the engine, not the bottom. I guess I get the Dilbert award today.

Cheers.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:47 AM
2Wise4aGM
Senior User