6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 or 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 05:21 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
6.0 or 7.3

Sorry. I had the wrong info. on the transmission.

Old 12-31-2002, 11:29 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6.0 or 7.3

Both the 6.0L and 7.3L engines are manufactured by Navistar, but Navistar is no longer using the 7.3L engine. Ford is still using the 7.3L engine in the Econoline vans manufactured by Maxion in Brazil.

Old 01-01-2003, 12:42 AM
otto
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 or 7.3

joe navistar sold the 7.3 to a brazilian company called maxion ??????
also are you now in huntsville building the 6.0 or still in indy ?
I also heard they still have injector problems and maybe a tranny problem........lets hope not ford doesnt need this now, neither do their 1000's of their employees and vendors

Old 01-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Scotte
Senior User
6.0 or 7.3

>The 6.0 was really meant to reduce emissions. Navistar was
>required to introduce reduced emissions diesels. Some
>lawsuit with the gov't. If not fot that, the 7.3 probably
>would have remained.

Tougher diesel engine emissions regulations went into effect October 1, 2002. All of the diesel engine manufacturers, not just Navistar were required to meet the new standards or face penalties (fines) for each engine produced not meeting the new standards.
FYI Cummins was the first engine manufacturer to receive certification from the Environmental Protection Agency for engines meeting the new emissions standards, followed by Mack.

Old 01-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Paarrothead
Senior User
6.0 or 7.3

On their web site, Navistar lists the T444 7.3 engine as a product they're still selling. Ford is still selling a 7.3 in the E250/E350 vans because the 6.0 won't fit. Are they both paying fines on the engines they sell?

Old 01-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Scotte
Senior User
6.0 or 7.3

>On their web site, Navistar lists the T444 7.3 engine as a
>product they're still selling. Ford is still selling a 7.3
>in the E250/E350 vans because the 6.0 won't fit. Are they
>both paying fines on the engines they sell?

That is a good question and one that I am curious about also.

Old 01-01-2003, 10:53 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
6.0 or 7.3

Navistar owns a majority stake in Maxion (as far as I know, they still do).
New exhaust emission laws went into effect in October but the 7.3L engine was already capable of surpassing those standards, so, as far as I know, we are not paying any fines for using the 7.3L engine in the Econoline vans. The 6.0L engine was introduced to compete with GM's 32 valve engine. Our 7.3L engine is capable of complying to exhaust emissions standards until 2005. The new 6.0 is externally larger than the 7.3 and therefore will not fit into the van engine bay. It is taller and wider because of the rocker boxes.
I am still in Indianapolis.
The injector problem should have been solved a year ago but because Navistar and Caterpillar have law suits against each other, Navistar thought they could produce these injectors without tungston carbide coating the plunger and barrel, which necessitates paying a royalty to Caterpillar because they have a patent on the process. From 1994 to 1999.5 the injectors were not coated with this process. We would run engines in quality audit for 25 or 50 hours to get them ready for the exhaust emissions lab and have to change several injectors just to get them through that process because they'd seize up on us and quit making power. That's all that would happen on those injectors -- they'd quit making power. On the 6.0L engine, they'd fill the crankcase with fuel when they'd crap out. So the bean counters and lawyers finally had to do what the engineers told them they'd have to do to start with and (as far as I know) we haven't had any problems since.
Morons run the entire world!

Old 01-01-2003, 09:47 PM
jimmy
New User
6.0 or 7.3

I own a 6.0 and I love it.Its My first deisel though. I formally had a v-10.

Old 01-02-2003, 10:41 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
6.0 or 7.3

In response to the original post, get the 6.0L engine even if it is more expensive -- it is a better engine with the latest technology. If you buy a truck with a 7.3L engine, you will be getting one of the last engines produced while we were having labor problems. Some of those engines were complete junk and others were junk that was laying around for months waiting to be repaired. Also, there was a big lay off in September -- there is no telling what kinds of "mistakes" were made by the out going crew.
Those guys who dynoed the truck in November were dynoing a vehicle that had defective injectors in it. Those problems have been solved. This is one time that when Ford says it has 325 H/P you can believe it. I've seen regular production engines on the dyno with 340 H/P after a few hours break in time with stock fuel mapping. And the new automatic transmission is icing on the cake!

Old 01-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Sun
Junior User
6.0 or 7.3

>I own a 6.0 and I love it.Its My first deisel though. I
>formally had a v-10.

How are you doing on fuel economy? Which chassis configuration do you have?
Just curious. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2003, 03:38 PM
jimmy
New User
6.0 or 7.3

With my v-10 I was usually getting middle 12's and now my 6.0 is getting 19 everyday,and on a long trip I got 22.12. It just has under 2000 miles on it. 2003 s.c. 2 wheel 3/4 6.0 5 speed auto 3.73 auto. Jimmy

Old 01-02-2003, 04:52 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
6.0 or 7.3

"If you buy a truck with a 7.3L engine, you will be getting one of the last engines produced while we were having labor problems. Some of those engines were complete junk and others were junk that was laying around for months waiting to be repaired. Also, there was a big lay off in September -- there is no telling what kinds of "mistakes" were made by the out going crew."

Joe - Are you telling me that you Indy guys are all not hard working and conscientious and take pride in your work?

Say it isn't so!

Old 01-02-2003, 09:49 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
6.0 or 7.3

Most of us are hard working and conscientious and that is what makes some people angry when they believe (rightly) that the company they've devoted their lives to shows them no loyalty during contract negotiations. You hide and watch -- John Horne will issue himself a nice tidy bonus for delivering us the worst contract we've ever had.
I was on vacation the entire time which gives me plausible deniability.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Highway Prisoner
Junior User
6.0 or 7.3

Joe, it is a shame what Navistar did to you guys. I can understand the resentment by the workers. The other down side is the poor quality of the last 7.3's leaving the plant. I sure would hate to have one of those lemons. These last engines sure are going to tarnish the great reputation of the 7.3. I have talked to a couple of people that work at the Indy plant, but that was a few years ago. One conversation was on the CB traveling east on I70, when I had My 94 PSD. I was asked how I liked the motor, and how many miles were on the truck. It was an interesting, and informative conversation. The Man I talked to was very proud of the engines they produced. Hopefully, the 6.0 will be built with pride, and rival the 7.3's reputation

Old 01-04-2003, 06:36 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
6.0 or 7.3

"The other down side is the poor quality of the last 7.3's leaving the plant. I sure would hate to have one of those lemons. These last engines sure are going to tarnish the great reputation of the 7.3."

Those same disgruntled workers also built the first 6.0!

I have a little more faith in the quality of the workers and in Navistar's quality control systems to believe that the last of the 7.3's will be any different from the first.

C'mon Joe. I have been reading posts by you and others at Indy, talking up the quality of the new 6.0 and how hard everyone at Indy is working to get out a quality product. Then I see this post that says everyone at Indy is mad at Navistar and put out a bunch of junk engines to get even. If they were mad in September, are they happy now? Why are we to believe anything made is September is junk, but every thing being built since October is of the utmost quality? What has happened in those 4 weeks to totally change everything around?

I understand that those with the new 6.0 are very happy with it and that it is the engine of the future. But my '99 7.3 engine was a wonderful piece of machinery and I expect my '03 7.3 to be the same. Don't try bad mouth it now.

Quick Reply: 6.0 or 7.3