1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Newbie needs advice, please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 01:54 AM
glfsophia
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Newbie needs advice, please!

I bought a 2000 XLT 5.4 w/75K in Alaska a few weeks ago and since the snow is finally starting to melt off the roads I've put it in A4WD and have noticed a notchy or sticky feeling in the drive train in slow speed turns, especially in reverse. I really have to gun it sometimes to get it moving again (I hate it when this happens in a parking lot!). It's just like it's stuck in 4WD and trying to slip on the pavement. (This turning feels exactly like my other 4x4 does when I'm making tight turns on dry pavement in 4x4.) But the 4x4 light's off and on places where there's still snow I can feel it engage from 2WD to 4WD because of road traction. I've also noticed a humming in the front when I'm making a slow speed turn going forward. Is this normal? Should I have the differentials checked? Thanks for any leads!!

Old 04-05-2004, 09:44 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Hi and welcome aboard. From your description, it does sound like you are in 4wd when you don't want to be. It could be because of a mafunctioning sensor or could be worse. Read through this thread and think about removing the fuse to see how it drives.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...52B%25252Bfuse

Good Luck.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:11 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
When was the transfer case fluid last changed? Old fluid could be a contributing factor.

Old 04-07-2004, 03:09 PM
glfsophia
New User
Maybe it's warranty time?

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the fuse but there was no difference.

I had the tcase and both gear boxes flushed and refilled without any difference. The fluids were definitely old but not really bad.

On tight but not overtight turns the drive train still gets sticky and I have to give it extra gas (I even heard a squeak today), plus I hear a humming as if something's engaging to compensate for any slipping (?).

My thinking now is to bring it into a shop I trust and see what they find. Fortunately I purchased a 4 year warranty with the vehicle. I hope they cover whatever's wrong.