Aerostar Ford Aerostar

2nd-3rd slip after flush on 97 3.0 ltr.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 02:05 PM
asnowsquall
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd-3rd slip after flush on 97 3.0 ltr.

We got our 97 with 60K on it. I changed the filter and fluid in the pan right away. The transmission has been acting strange for a while with slow shifts.
I decided to flush the system and I think I may have killed it. I think I did basically everything wrong. Used A cheap Mircron III/Dexron fluid from Walmart. Disconnected the line between the cooler and the transmission. Was going to stick one end in the new fluid, but I had used fluid coming out both ways ???? So I'd run it for about 10-15 seconds in drive, then fill until I went through about 5 gallons. The original stuff had a brownish red color and didn't smell burnt. I also added an additive that was so thick I had to break it down with fluid before pouring it in. Can remember the name but it was a white bottle. Well the thing shifted real bad between 2-3, big delay of about 1-2 seconds and the RPM's would shoot up if I didn't back off the throttle. Only left that stuff in there for about 2 hours, before another flush with the correct Mercron V fluid. Another 12 quarts later, it seemed perfect. Now it's doing it again every now and then. Think I should have left it for the pro's as I may have killed it. The Mercron V definately improved it. Wonder if I should try Mobile1 100% Synthetic fluid at $6 a quart. Maybe after a while it will go away....

Old 04-05-2004, 01:31 AM
90XLT_Silver_Bullet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mayeb flush it again to get all the crap out, like totally drain it?