Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need big help with mystery part/code

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:13 PM
yup
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need big help with mystery part/code

hello
(1996 f150 302 efi 4x4)
---1st half of big problem
my checkengine light is on. i got a code reader. it spit out code 0133 which says "o2sensor slow response bank 1 sensor 1"

well in further checking this problem i found something
?broken? on the back of the engine, there seems to be hose from each side of the engine that goes to a "T" then the from the "T" a hose that goes to something shaped like a bowl(as you look at a cereal bowl from the side big on topthen curves to a flat base) now underneath this bowl looking thing is what appears to be a about a 3/8 inch nut thats on a metal tube so it appears that this bowl looking thing would bolt onto it BUT in feeling the bottom of this bowl shaped thing there are no ridges, its smooth and as far as i can feel there is no smooth inside of the 3/8 nut/metal tube thingy.

info- then i try to place the bowl thingy on the nut thingy the exhaust noise gets quieter
info-looking at the plugs im running lean
info-looking at a haynes book i can find no pics so far to correspond with what im talking about

now this bowl looking thingy its sort of hollow, i can place my finger in it a little bit and it feel conical of sorts inside.

im stumped any help will be greatly appreciated i will give any more info i know of just ask

Old 04-01-2004, 08:04 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics would really help. Sounds like your emmissions system has a hole or broken line. It's really tough to say without seeing it. Oh and that tube is suposed to go to the exhaust. It's basically pumping fumes around the engine to reburn and then put back out in the exhaust. But again, PICS.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:30 PM
yup
Freshman User
i dont have a camera but i was thinking it is definately ehhaust/emissions related but its right in the back of the motor almost direct center of the motor so its a pain to get to or even inspect, i got a buddy who's 5ft 5 and small framed im going to see if he can get in there better. its not in a good spot at all. i dont want to take it to a shop to fix it due to cash flow and since its in an odd spot im sure there would be extra labor involved. but if anyone has any other idea it would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-01-2004, 09:32 PM
yup
Freshman User
would it be pcv related then you think??

Old 04-01-2004, 09:41 PM
blkhorse
Freshman User
the problem your talking about,I doubt is the cause of a SLOW responding o2 sensor,Replace the sensor

Old 04-01-2004, 10:41 PM
faroffthetrack
Elder User
where is this part?

Old 04-01-2004, 11:24 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The code and the part are likely unrelated. O2 sensors are slow to switch when they get old, so it's probably time to replace it. The part you are describing is part of the smog/air injection system. It sounds like the part that is broken is the check valve. It threads onto the tubes that run to the back of each head. The computer should only send air there during cold start condition. The valve is a dealer only item (far as I know) and was around 20 bucks from what I remember from when I replaced mine.