Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Looking For More Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 04:05 AM
nuclearmonster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Looking For More Power

I am fairly new to the World of Diesel Trucks. Had my PSD for about 4 months. 7.3 with SCMT, 4" side exit exhaust, wicked wheel (installing this weekend), HX mod (installing when it arrives), sonnax valve/tricumulator springs installed. I would like some help. I still can't get the rear tires to really break loose. What kind of power mod am I overlooking other than propane or bigger injectors? Any help would be appreciated. I forgot to mention that I am building a Tymar style intake this weekend as well. Maybe I am not getting enough air?%&*&^

Old 04-01-2004, 10:55 PM
nuclearmonster
Senior User
Anyone out there? Anyone? Bueller, Bueller>>.....

Old 04-01-2004, 11:30 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Tymar intake and propane. Bigger injectors are usually the "last step" to making huge HP. Your 4" exhaust should be good to about 450HP.

Old 04-02-2004, 12:30 AM
nuclearmonster
Senior User
Arrow

Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
Tymar intake and propane. Bigger injectors are usually the "last step" to making huge HP. Your 4" exhaust should be good to about 450HP.
I have looked pretty hard at the propane but kind of leary. Do you think my truck (99.5 psd) can handle the propane without damage to the engine? Sounds pretty cool to be able to throw a switch and let her eat.....

Noticed you are from denton, are you a member of the NTPSA? I have seen the website and have considered joining. I live about an hour south of the metroplex.

Last edited by nuclearmonster; 04-02-2004 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:36 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget, you could always install on-board rockets. Throw a switch (and wait for the countdown...) and away you go!

Ryan

Old 04-02-2004, 12:41 AM
nuclearmonster
Senior User
Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
Don't forget, you could always install on-board rockets. Throw a switch (and wait for the countdown...) and away you go!

Ryan
Now I won't be able to sleep.....Thanks

Old 04-02-2004, 06:17 AM
eeglot
Junior User
Originally Posted by nuclearmonster
I am fairly new to the World of Diesel Trucks. Had my PSD for about 4 months. 7.3 with SCMT, 4" side exit exhaust, wicked wheel (installing this weekend), HX mod (installing when it arrives), sonnax valve/tricumulator springs installed. I would like some help. I still can't get the rear tires to really break loose. What kind of power mod am I overlooking other than propane or bigger injectors? Any help would be appreciated. I forgot to mention that I am building a Tymar style intake this weekend as well. Maybe I am not getting enough air?%&*&^

Check out my post in chip tuning section. I am using and trying both the SCMT and the Predator tuners. To a certain extent it feels like the higher performance programmers, while still REALLY rip, somehow feel like they are being choked off. Webmaster Ken thinks that the AIS intake I have could be restricting my optimum performance at the higher HP files. This is with both the SCMT and the Predator. Both performance tow files on both tuners, really feel strong, and this MAY be because its more matched to the AIS' flow capabilities. I have a Tymar style, that I as well will be putting back on this weekend to do some more testing to see if it makes a difference.
So yes....I think you are headed in the right direction with the Tymar.
I would really be interested in hearing your response to what the Tymar does for you and the SCMT tunes your running.
Best of Luck
Eric
Early 99 PSD, AIS intake, Walker BTM on stock exhaust

Old 04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nuclearmonster
I have looked pretty hard at the propane but kind of leary. Do you think my truck (99.5 psd) can handle the propane without damage to the engine? Sounds pretty cool to be able to throw a switch and let her eat.....

Noticed you are from denton, are you a member of the NTPSA? I have seen the website and have considered joining. I live about an hour south of the metroplex.
I personally wouldn't add propane to my truck, but if you keep it under control you should be OK. You can also use NOS if you prefer. Anytime you hop up the power you are risking some damage so logic says the more HP you are producing the greater the chance you will do some damage.

Yes, I am a member of the NTPSA, but I haven't had time to go to any events yet. What town do you live in?

Old 04-02-2004, 02:20 PM
powershotone
Junior User
The right kind of propane system makes all the difference in the world in regards to driveability and safety . With the general modifications you have already, propane would compliement them nicely and add about 80+ driveable hp to your rig. And it is pretty cool to be able to turn it on and off when needed, but with the right one, you''d just leave it on all the time, it's too much fun!

Old 04-02-2004, 10:27 PM
nuclearmonster
Senior User
Originally Posted by eeglot
Check out my post in chip tuning section. I am using and trying both the SCMT and the Predator tuners. To a certain extent it feels like the higher performance programmers, while still REALLY rip, somehow feel like they are being choked off. Webmaster Ken thinks that the AIS intake I have could be restricting my optimum performance at the higher HP files. This is with both the SCMT and the Predator. Both performance tow files on both tuners, really feel strong, and this MAY be because its more matched to the AIS' flow capabilities. I have a Tymar style, that I as well will be putting back on this weekend to do some more testing to see if it makes a difference.
So yes....I think you are headed in the right direction with the Tymar.
I would really be interested in hearing your response to what the Tymar does for you and the SCMT tunes your running.
Best of Luck
Eric
Early 99 PSD, AIS intake, Walker BTM on stock exhaust

Thanks for the information. I will be adding the Tymar in the morning (actually a WIX filter same as napa 6637 ) I will see what it does and try to post the results tomorrow evening. I will say that I tried the 10K mod today which I modified to 5.6k and what a waste of time. I am posting the results of that in another thread ( Mo Smoke For Me ).

Old 04-02-2004, 10:29 PM
nuclearmonster
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
I personally wouldn't add propane to my truck, but if you keep it under control you should be OK. You can also use NOS if you prefer. Anytime you hop up the power you are risking some damage so logic says the more HP you are producing the greater the chance you will do some damage.

Yes, I am a member of the NTPSA, but I haven't had time to go to any events yet. What town do you live in?

I have to say that I am still very interested in the propane. Don't want to hurt the truck but I understand that if you don't get to crazy on turning up the "drug" I would be pretty safe....Still looking into it and am trying to find some threads regarding peoples results and observations.

I live down in Clifton and am going to try to make the Lake Trip but not 100% sure I will.