Transmissions Slips

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Romo706
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmissions Slips

Hey, new to the forum......I have a '95 Explorer XLT V6, and it seems to be slipping out of high gear, 50+ mph. At one point the O/D off light flashed and then check engine came on. If I let off the gas the warning lights would go off. Recently changed the fluid and filter @ 100K (now @ 108K). Anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be ......?

Old 03-28-2004, 12:08 AM
notchstang92
Senior User
First hook it up to a code scanner and see if what the code is. I did a search on a similar topic and found that MLPS switch will malfunction and cause shifting problems. If you search for "MLPS" you will find the threads.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Romo706
New User
Well......The lights didn't flash for a few weeks, but it continued to not want to stay in overdrive. Until finally, after getting off the highway, I heard a clunk and the O/D Off light flashed continuosly.

Called Ford, told me to have it towed over ( I have AAA so not a prob). Said the codes pointed to the electronic solenoid, but the damage had already been done to the tranny. Replaced it with a used tranny (49K miles), got it back, and I still have the same problem. It doesn't want to stay in overdrive on the highway. Ford now tells me to bring it back, said they probably just need to do something in the PCM. Any suggestions? If it was/is the MLPS, shouldn't the codes have pointed to that instead. Any advice before I bring this thing back would be appreciated.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Romo706
New User
Got it back from Ford, and they told me they replaced the wiring from the tranny to the PCM. Worked beautifully for about three days, then the problem came back. I have read several posts from people with the same problem, and now I'm thinking about checking and/or changing the throttle position sensor. It's only $25 at my local autozone, so I fugured what the heck. Can anyone provide any input on this, I have also read that there are adjustments that need to be made to the TPS after installation, is that true in my case? (not sure what kind of tranny I have, but I its a 95 explorer XLT 4.0,auto trans w/ OD.) Any input would be helpful.....