2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power sliding rear window

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 10:21 AM
kfactor
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power sliding rear window

Hi All,

I am about to odrer my truck and I want to thank everyone for their knowledge input and opinions. I have never found a forum with so much excellent information and active participation. Special thanks to Jeff for his honesty and knowledge. If I was only from Rochester, NY and not Rochester, MN.......

Anyway I would like to gather some information and opinions on the power sliding rear window. I understand that if you have the slider you probably want the power option in a screw but the question is do I need one at all? I could see how it could be used for ventilation but since I am getting the moon roof that is not a factor. Back when I was younger and dumber the slider was required. Needed a way to access the cooler and get rid of the empties...

Is there a big concern with the rear window frosting up? If I skip the slider I do get the defroster. I currently have a 97 extended cab and frost is not an issue.

So what do you think? Love it... hate it... regrets...

Old 03-24-2004, 10:59 AM
lariatf150
Senior User
I don't have it, but I honestly can't think of a reason why I would want it. I can think of several why I don't want it. I definitely wanted the defroster on the rear window and I didn't want to have one more thing that I had to pay for that might go bad in the future. I still can't figure out why I would need a slider. I don't miss having it at all. Other than yelling at someone in the rear if you're backing up to a hitch, but good grief, couldn't the person hear you from the side window? Ventilation is no issue. For goodness sake, I've got 4 windows that go down and I have A/C. No moonroof on mine either. I think it's all personal preference. But yeah, for drunks - I guess the beer can toss to the bed is a huge benefit. But let's hope the drunks all do a solo crash and put themselves out of commision before they crash head on into our families on the road. Personal preference on the rear slider my friend. I can think of no true benfit of having it, but I would really hate to lose my rear defrost on those cold freezing rain or heavy snow days.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:16 AM
04-HD4U2NV
Senior User
Have it, like it. When the windows are open it takes the pounding air out of the cab. Maybe the hole in your roof will do the same. As far as problems, I think that would give you more than the slider and the slider is about 1/5 the price. Only the person on their back gets to see the stars.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:09 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My objection to the sliding rear window in the SuperCab are the "divider bars" that you see in your rearview mirror. I just find it very distracting every time I look in the mirror. It's not nearly as noticeable in the regular-cab, because the rear window is so much closer to you. Unless you really have a need for the slider (access to the area with a cap on the bed), then I'd pass altogether. Personally, I have no use for them.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:22 PM
DVR
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
in my last 250 crew cab i could not reach the slider from the drivers seat. the power option would have been nice. my labs climb in and out of the cab and a slider is a must have for me.

if you want a slider (on a crew cab) the extra $125 is a no brainer for me. the other cab configurations will allow the driver to slide the window without too much effort.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:20 PM
04-HD4U2NV
Senior User
Can't reach them in a super cab either and personally I use the tow (side) mirrors most of the time with quick glances through the rearview but admit you don't have the clear view but in anything but a regular cab you see parts of the cab interior behind you anyway so the verticals aren't a big deal to me.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:32 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
I agree it's a no-brainer in the SD crew. I do wish the slider was an option though.

My thoughts on the power slider, if you do get a slider, is it gives you a more secure window. From what I've been told.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:06 PM
wldwilliam
Junior User
nobody mentioned the cool factor...check this out, ya just push this and...voila!, cool huh?

as mentioned earlier it gets rid of the helicopter blade pulse when the back windows are down. That's worth the hundred bucks right there. I've never had a defrost problem on my back windows.

Old 03-25-2004, 04:05 AM
greenroses
Senior User
I use the power slider for two things... One, I get my truck really dirty, so it helps when I back up. Two, the coolness factor.

Old 03-25-2004, 07:06 AM
Mizzou
Senior User
We use it not for beer but sandwichs and soda on long trips to go camping. Plus the dog likes to stick is head in. Don't think I will be letting him do it to the new truck for a while......well until the boss says let him in, end of conversation.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:00 AM
TxLimo
Senior User
I didnt order the power slider in my crewcab- I'll have the voice activated kind. "Will one of you kids open / shut that @#@!! window!!!" LOL

Old 03-25-2004, 03:43 PM
ANAP
Senior User
I got one in my 04 FX4 SCAB....it is very cool. It is a lot easier to push a button than leaning back and trying to open it while driving. (Dangerous sometimes)

Old 03-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
I have a sliding rear window in my truck, but no power and no defroster. Well, I don't think I have a defroster. I have a defrost button for the side view mirrors. Is there a sepeate defrost button for the rear window? If I don't have defrost on the rear window, could I have the power sliding option added now?

Old 03-25-2004, 04:01 PM
leog
New User
Love the PSRW

I love the power sliding rear window. I use it to control air flow.
I can pop-up the moon roof and crack the back window for light air movement. The more I open the rear window the more air you can feel flow through the cab. It also decreases that howling sound that you get with just the moon roof open.

Old 03-25-2004, 04:12 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
I have the slider in a Scab. I do like it, but with the power rear side windows, I don't really think I need it. I didn't order mine, but if I were ordering one now, knowing what I now know about the new truck, I think I would order the rear window defrost.

Quick Reply: Power sliding rear window