1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

melted plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Benny R
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
melted plugs

I have PIAA 9007 aftermarket bulbs in my 2002 F-250. I noticed that my passenger side headlight sometimes goes out, but if i wiggle the plug it goes back on. After this kept on occuring i took out the bulb and saw that the plug was melted where it contacts the pronges on the bulb. The rest of the wire is fine. I'm wondering if i should upgrade to a different Harness for the higher wattage bulbs or if I should replace the end and use the stock harness. I also have the same lights in my fog lights and drive with them on all the time and there are fine

Old 03-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There was probably a poor connection (high resistance) between the bulb and the plug. The high resistance conncection would cause lots of heat to be generated and would eventually melt the socket. Any corrosion on electrical contacts will cause this sort of problem.

The stock wiring and connectors are well made and should work fine. I'd stick with the Ford stuff if possible.

Lou Braun

Old 03-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Benny R
Freshman User
Thanks alot, there was some corrosion on the plug when I checked it before it melted. I tried to clean most of it off but it was tuff te get it all, sorry for not stating that in the first place

Old 03-14-2004, 08:00 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Benny becareful using aftermarket lights ,the amperage draw is higher than the the wiring and plugs are capable of handling .I'm not saying it can't be done just becareful .there have been cases where fires have been started because of certain mods in wiring .

Rich

Old 03-14-2004, 10:07 PM
turboglide
Senior User
You need to get aftermarket harness kits for the higher output bulbs. The harness from Ford does not have heavy enough wire so they fail at the weakest point which is the terminals. The terminals in the bulb itself are probably bad now also. Look for kits that use relays from the battery to supply the bulb.