1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

speedometer trans. gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 05:20 PM
tlb
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedometer trans. gear

does anyone out there know how to calculate the proper number of teeth for speedometer gear in a c4 transmission?

Old 03-13-2004, 07:03 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: speedometer trans. gear

Originally posted by tlb
does anyone out there know how to calculate the proper number of teeth for speedometer gear in a c4 transmission?
Terry,

If you have a speedometer gear in there now, I can tell you how to approximate the right one. First, figure out many miles per hour and which way you are off. If the speedometer reads too high, you need a gear with more teeth. If it reads too low, you need a gear with fewer teeth. Each tooth is worth about 5 MPH, so you can go from there. It is possible to have a combination for which there is no correct speedometer gear. I know this method works because I've used it several times over the years...

BTW, you can also have your speedometer re-calibrated by most any speedometer shop if it's not quite on the money.

Old 03-13-2004, 03:47 PM
tlb
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Vern.

I will follow one of my sons done the highway and see how far off i am. The cable is broke and i have the floor apart to add a new shifter. Now would be a good time to fix.

Thanks again.