Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Collinite & Zaino product help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 12:57 PM
D'sl Lvr Ldy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Collinite & Zaino product help

Hi. Have been watching the posts on detailing, etc. Bender97f250 does not take off-line email. Any help with these two products would be appreciated. Why one vs the other?

Have read a lot about Zaino, but very few references here or on BobTheOilGuys, or the Diesel Stop site, regarding Collinite.

Help would be appreciated.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I'll share my philosophy with you.... If you're truck is fast enough, no one can get a good look at you to see if your truck is shiny or not.
Spend your money on mods.

Old 03-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Tunka
New User
Here's a detailing forum

http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php

You can search for old threads on Collinite or Zaino.

Old 03-12-2004, 09:57 PM
bender97f250
Senior User
Dsllvrldy: Sorry its been a while since I updated my edit list,If you wish to email me try now,or if there is a specific question you have I will try and help you here in the forum.

Old 03-12-2004, 10:05 PM
bender97f250
Senior User
For product info:Collinite Corp,Utica,NY (315)732-2282 or www.collinite.com. Zaino Bros,Howell,NJ (732)833-8800 OR www.zainobros.com.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:11 PM
D'sl Lvr Ldy
Junior User
Bender - I guess my question is, one over the other?? and why?

I saw your comments to HeatStroke on the full "process" of claybar, etc. Are you still recommending Collinite over Zaino?

And Quad - I have spent my fortune on mods!! And, thanks for your help in the spending!! I thought I would polish it now and charge admission to see it, to re-coup the family fortune!!

Thanks for your help, guys.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:08 AM
horsecop
Senior User
Quad sounds like a free wax job for the advice eh?

Old 03-13-2004, 06:01 AM
bender97f250
Senior User
Zaino is a little more durable than the Collinite when it comes to ice and snow.Both are great products.I prefer Collinite because of it being a paste vs liquid. Also,when using Zaino it requires a measured application technique.If you use to much product you risk hazing,streaking and difficult application.

Old 03-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Bubba- I'd think a free wax job wouldn't be out of line, but I'm not willing to drive to Utah to get it. I should have pressed the issue when she was up here two weeks ago. She's got a really sharp truck. It doesn't look like it's had to work a day in it's life.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:25 AM
D'sl Lvr Ldy
Junior User
Also,when using Zaino it requires a measured application technique.If you use to much product you risk hazing,streaking and difficult application.
Bender: Even though the ice & snow for Collinite - me thunks you made up my mind for me with this added thought about Zaino. Thank you. I will get the Collinite and see what I can do with it.

I'd think a free wax job wouldn't be out of line, but I'm not willing to drive to Utah to get it. I should have pressed the issue when she was up here two weeks ago. She's got a really sharp truck. It doesn't look like it's had to work a day in it's life.
Hey, Quad - I would have been SO happy to re-do your wax job, but it was raining all that week!! Besides, the over-the-counter stuff really DID look purdy good on your marvelous hunk of rig!! What a RIDE!!!

And, nope, it hasn't had to work (much, anyway) a day in its life. But, its OWNER has had to!! But, now I'm thinking about putting it to work a LOT with the ATV's and Travel Trailer! Load 'em up; move 'em out!

You guys are great! Thanks a bunch to all!!

Old 03-13-2004, 03:58 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I completed my "detail party" (I was the only one in attendance) on my PSD using the Mothers clay bar, Meguiars swirl remover and the Collinite. All three steps were done by hand and very easy to do. I was done in about 1/2 bottle of Jack, I mean 5 hours. I must warn you that my PSD was very clean to start with and had minimal tar and bug deposits, etc.

The surface is like glass! It's white so I can't tell you really about how deep the paint looks using these products but the white is blinding in the sun.

Went through a rain here yesterday,surface beads like crazy and runs right off.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:30 PM
D'sl Lvr Ldy
Junior User
Hey, HeatStroke:

I'll bet she sure does look purdy!!!

How much Collinite did you order? and use? I think I will follow in like suite, and do the whole thing like you did. Is the Meg's swirl remover a "must do" on our white trucks? or is it one of those things that adds a lot to any knicks or scratches. At present, there are not swirl marks on my truck....does that mean there will be after I get through with the Clay Bar thing?

BTW - I used the Simple Green on the engine. Great job. And, on the tires, too!!

Any tips on the clay bar? I've never used one.

Imagine the other 1/2 Jack is gone by now, or you could have just brought it up and watched as I did mine! We have actually had SUNshine today!!

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-14-2004, 02:23 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by HeatStroked
I completed my "detail party" (I was the only one in attendance) on my PSD using the Mothers clay bar, Meguiars swirl remover and the Collinite. All three steps were done by hand and very easy to do. I was done in about 1/2 bottle of Jack, I mean 5 hours. I must warn you that my PSD was very clean to start with and had minimal tar and bug deposits, etc.

The surface is like glass! It's white so I can't tell you really about how deep the paint looks using these products but the white is blinding in the sun.

Went through a rain here yesterday,surface beads like crazy and runs right off.
That was a good story right up the part about the rain....in Arizona, now I know it was lies....all lies.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:48 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Diesel Dame,

The clay bar removes surface crap, tar, over spray, etc. without damagaing the clear coat. You use it with a lubricant so the clay doesn't stick to the surface. It makes the surface smooth as a baby's behind.

The swirl remover polish not only removes any swirl marks from previous waxing, washing, etc, but it is also fills in fine scratches and polishes the clear coat. it actually removed some etched in water spots in my clear coat. Had to rub a bit harder as I purchased the "fine cut" product.

The Collinite has a texture similar to mink oil. It seals everything and makes a great shine the more you rub it. Goes on and comes off easy. I ordered two cans and used about 1/3 of one can. I believe in spares and overkill.

Collinite claims that it will last 1 full year of washing, etc. without breaking down. I don't plan on going a year between waxes but I do notice normal waxes break down with lots of washing.

Cookie, hmmmmmmm.....the more I think about my first thread.....I'ts all coming back to me now. You're right, I was lying, it was a full bottle of Jack and it didn't really rain here, it was the neighbor hosing me down to get me in the house. brrrrpppp.......
I'm the scourge of the neighborhood and lovin it.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:08 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
it was the neighbor hosing me down to get me in the house. brrrrpppp.......
Aaaahha. Now that makes perfect sense. I think I used to live by that guy, back when I had neighbors.

Quick Reply: Collinite & Zaino product help