more boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Blueoval_boy_64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more boost

I'm looking at building a BBF for my 150, but when I look at the centrifical superchargers for these things, they only have 4-5 pounds of boost. I was hoping for more like 7-8. If I put the smaller pully on it would I need to modify anything else to accept the extra boost, or will this just scater my motor? My goal is to have my 150 on 39's-4.88 gears, and be able to give hondas a run for their money, also, does anyone know if someone makes a bigger throttle body for the mass air EFI 460's? Thanks from the newbie around here!

Old 03-12-2004, 08:45 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: more boost

Centrifigual superchargers can produce a little more boost if you put on a smaller pulley on the charger, but there are limits. The Paxton I have in my FWD Continental puts out 8 lbs towards the top end of the RPM band.

Most motors can take some boost, the limits of any engine have to do with the headgaskets and rings being a common weak point. Use good quality gaskets, torque appropriately, and use good quality gasoline and a knock sensor system and you should be okay if your compression ratio is 9:1 or lower.

I'll be finding out in late April if the 500cid stroker (based on the 460) can handle 11-12lbs of boost