stock DP=junk...another reason

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:14 PM
88B_RONC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock DP=junk...another reason

Why the stock 94.5-97 downpipe is junk...reason 582:

After replacing my stock dp with a 3 incher I found that my stock dp had rubbed a good size groove into my uppipe and in the center is a hole the size of 2 BBs.
I wanna find another truck with a stock dp to see what exactly is so close to the uppipe but I imagine it could be the sharp flanges on either side of the dp.
So if you've still got one of these you might want to take a look at the clearance there.
I'm still tryin to figure out a fix, an exhaust clamp would be ideal but I don't think they make one with that small a diameter so maybe just a hose clamp and some sheet metal or possibly a weld.
Any better ideas out there?

Old 03-10-2004, 06:57 PM
fast freddie
Senior User
Don't have a solution for you but appreciate the heads up. Will check mine for adequate clearance..

95 XLT CC DUALLY

Old 03-10-2004, 07:24 PM
xlrs
Senior User
Did these BB size holes make any difference in the sound of your exhaust? Mine seems to be getting louder and just doesn't sound right.
xlrs

Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I don't think the cost of another up-pipe is too high, so if it seems like a hassle trying to repair yours, you might price a new one. The hassle is in removing/reinstalling it.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:35 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Shouldn't take more than a few seconds with a welder to fix it up, unless you don't have a welder, then a JB weld/soup can patch should hold it for a while.

Old 03-11-2004, 06:46 PM
88B_RONC
Senior User
xlrs-
I really couldn't tell you if there is a difference in sound because I don't know how long the hole has been there.
about 6 months ago when replacing my clutch I noticed alot of soot on the passenger side of the firewall and heat shielding around the tranny and at the time I didn't realize what it was, but now after 2 weeks my new shiny dp has a streak of soot that led me right to the hole. So obviously the hole has been there a while.
I do know that when I put in my thermocouple I started the engine and reved it up to blow some of the junk out after drilling and I couldn't notice a difference in sound and that was a much larger hole.

I've got access to an arc welder but its an awful tight fit up there and I'm afraid jb weld will just run down the side, so I might just throw a clamp on there for now until I work up the motivation to put in a new pipe.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:39 PM
xlrs
Senior User
88B_RONC

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just have to get under there again and look for a problem.

Thanks,
XLRS

Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
maybe rub a little tailpipe putty on it before you put the clamp on, make it a semi-permanent/temporary fix.